Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 08:18 PM

Credit Card safety/insurance

I'm looking for a company which keeps a register of all your credit/debit cards and if you loose one, or all, or have your handbag stolen, you phone the company and they arrange cancellation and replacement and emergency cash if needed. There's one company which provides this service called Sentinel but they seem to have terrible reviews.

Any thoughts?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 08:20 PM

Re: Credit Card safety/insurance

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I'm looking for a company which keeps a register of all your credit/debit cards and if you loose one, or all, or have your handbag stolen, you phone the company and they arrange cancellation and replacement and emergency cash if needed. There's one company which provides this service called Sentinel but they seem to have terrible reviews.

Any thoughts?
How will you know the number of the company to phone?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
How will you know the number of the company to phone?
Just one company name, I can remember and hopefully fairly easy to find or remember. I currently keep half a dozen credit/debit cards in my purse and would have a much more difficult job if they were all stolen!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 10:40 PM

Just write down the phone numbers of each on a little piece of paper and keep somewhere safe away from the cards themselves.

Aside from that it's important to report any lost card in a timely fashion. That's YOUR responsibility no-one else's so trying to delegate the task to a 3rd party like Sentinel is imho not a good idea.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

06-04-2019, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Aside from that it's important to report any lost card in a timely fashion. That's YOUR responsibility no-one else's so trying to delegate the task to a 3rd party like Sentinel is imho not a good idea.
That's exactly the service provided for by Sentinel (or similar) and paid for by me!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

07-04-2019, 01:10 AM

That's exactly the service provided for by Sentinel (or similar) and paid for by me!
If they fail to deliver that service, it will be your fault. If they don't manage to report lost or stolen cards in a timely fashion then your card companies will hold you responsible and you'll likely be liable for some of the lost money.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

07-04-2019, 07:34 AM

But it's far more likely that I will fail to remember one/some of the cards in my missing purse and have problems getting in touch with card providers. I've assessed that risk and the problems of getting in touch with UK banks & credit card companies, particularly when I'm away on holiday, more so if my handbag is stolen with my phone inside! Thanks anyway for your help!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 07:58 PM

Any thoughts?
I signed up to Sentinel some years ago because I was seduced by their siren call. It claimed to register your credit cards and pursue compensation on your behalf if one of your cards was lost or stolen and then used for fraudulent payments. It was only when I realised that you could merely ring the CC supplier to tell them that your card had been stolen for them to cancel the card. Once you have done this, your are not responsible for any purchases made on that card.

A couple of years ago, I was given a compensation payout under the PPI scheme for them having mis-sold information about their product.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

10-04-2019, 09:36 PM

Thanks Judd. I knew their reputation was pretty bad, but didn't know why. I have a Nationwide FlexPlus account which provides amongst other things, credit/debit card registry security, so if you loose one or all, you just phone the Nationwide number and they arrange to cancel and reissue the card. I think they also arrange emergency cash to help you out if you've lost cash as well as cards. That's a very reassuring service for someone who travels alone and travels a lot!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 01:41 PM

Lindyloo, be very careful. When I was with my previous bank, they offered HWMO and I this very service with the company you mention in your thread. We took out the insurance which covered all of our credit/debit cards, money, keys and luggage etc. but it turned out that the main service they were offering i.e. debit/credit cards, and that which we were paying a premium for, should have already been offered by, and in fact was, by our bank itself.

Now I don't know whether the bank took a cut of the premiums paid to that company at that time, whilst at the same time seemingly relinquishing responsibility for stolen/lost cards by their customers 'paying for it', but the Financial Ombudsman caught up with it all. They received a huge fine and every customer insured had a full refund of all monies that we had paid in monthly instalments to that company.

Might I respectfully request you go in and talk to a customer services rep at your bank. You will find that you are already covered with your credit/debit cards (as long as you report the loss/theft) and perhaps they can also help with replacing any lost money etc.

I would stay well away from those companies.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top