Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 10:36 AM

And The Winner is.....Cricket!

Well I don't know about you all but I have thoroughly enjoyed this ashes series. Despite the odd bit of crowd argy bargy it was pretty civilised from where I sat. More than was expected I have to say. I think both captains approached the context in a dignified way and gave it their best as did their respective teams. Each side had their hero who made them feel proud (Smith and Stokes). The weather saved it's sunniest smile for The Oval and England saved their dignity with a great second innings knock to draw the series. Ashes retained by Australia yes but I think these two teams will be champing at the proverbial bit to enter into this old, glorious and treasured contest again and prove once again that this is indeed THE greatest game on Earth!..As I said previously, the final result was the one I was hoping for more than a clean sweep by Australia. And that was that the biggest winner of all was cricket itself. Well done everybody.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 11:56 AM

Re: And The Winner is.....Cricket!

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Well I don't know about you all but I have thoroughly enjoyed this ashes series. Despite the odd bit of crowd argy bargy it was pretty civilised from where I sat. More than was expected I have to say. I think both captains approached the context in a dignified way and gave it their best as did their respective teams. Each side had their hero who made them feel proud (Smith and Stokes). The weather saved it's sunniest smile for The Oval and England saved their dignity with a great second innings knock to draw the series. Ashes retained by Australia yes but I think these two teams will be champing at the proverbial bit to enter into this old, glorious and treasured contest again and prove once again that this is indeed THE greatest game on Earth!..As I said previously, the final result was the one I was hoping for more than a clean sweep by Australia. And that was that the biggest winner of all was cricket itself. Well done everybody.
I completely agree.
Cricket is a far more enjoyable and civilised game than, for example, football.

Comparing the two, cricket is more interesting because there is so much more involved. All of those many rules, some of which I admit I don't fully understand, tend to explain the much more diverse skills involved compared to simply kicking a ball around a field with the aim of kicking it between two posts.

For example, batting, bowling, fielding and wicket keeping are all very different skills, which is why most cricketers excel at only one of them.

I believe that its complexity is the main reason why the Americans have never really taken any interest in it! (Only joking, of course.)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 01:17 PM

I'm not normally a cricket fan but would have liked to have watched the ashes. Of course that's not always possible these days with sports being sold off to the highest TV bidder. No doubt Wimbledon will go the same way. Such a shame.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm not normally a cricket fan but would have liked to have watched the ashes. Of course that's not always possible these days with sports being sold off to the highest TV bidder. No doubt Wimbledon will go the same way. Such a shame.
It is a shame Longdogs because it was a wonderful game of skill showing cricket at its best. The final match ended satisfactorily giving both teams much to be proud of in both their skill and behaviour.

We have Sky sport simply for the cricket - a bit of a luxury really but worth it to be able to watch it ball by ball. The Sky commentary team are very good too in explaining what is going on at complicated moments - something I appreciate I must admit. My husband, who once played cricket and then in later years umpired for local teams, is glad that things are explained on TV rather than me keep asking him to explain, though my understanding is getting better - even so I really enjoy watching it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
It is a shame Longdogs because it was a wonderful game of skill showing cricket at its best. The final match ended satisfactorily giving both teams much to be proud of in both their skill and behaviour.

We have Sky sport simply for the cricket - a bit of a luxury really but worth it to be able to watch it ball by ball. The Sky commentary team are very good too in explaining what is going on at complicated moments - something I appreciate I must admit. My husband, who once played cricket and then in later years umpired for local teams, is glad that things are explained on TV rather than me keep asking him to explain, though my understanding is getting better - even so I really enjoy watching it.
I saw the end of the previous match at a friend's who has Sky sports and I enjoyed it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I watched it - the highlights, anyway - on Channel 5. For free!

I have no wish to pay for Sky or any other channel for that matter.
Perhaps if I had the option of not paying for the A-BBC, I might have paid for Sky or another subscription channel.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-09-2019, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
We have Sky sport simply for the cricket - a bit of a luxury really but worth it to be able to watch it ball by ball. The Sky commentary team are very good too in explaining what is going on at complicated moments
I read that a certain ex-cricketer, commentating on Sky recently, came out with the 'F' word live on air without realising his microphone was switched on.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 09:36 PM

I agree with the comments above! Cricket has always been my most favourite sport. Chess of grass! It's complicated but well worth the effort.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 03:25 AM

Yes ,and dangerous.I think Smith would agree.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-09-2019, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Yes ,and dangerous.I think Smith would agree.
Chess? Chess is dangerous?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top