Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2012, 01:27 PM

'Eat, Fast and Live Longer'

Did anyone watch this Horizon programme 'Eat Fast and Live Longer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...d_Live_Longer/

I found it very interesting.
It explains the benefits to our bodies of eating less food in general and of fasting.

(Dear U.J. not one for you I think .)
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2012, 02:28 PM

Re: 'Eat, Fast and Live Longer'

At last ... something the health gurus recommend that I can comply with ... not been a foody fan.

Though I do have a weakness for choccy.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2012, 02:29 PM

My Weaknes is Ice Cream.....amoung other things that will remain hidden .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2012, 02:36 PM

Have to admit I've never really tried fasting.
It's never appealed to me... and some of these detox programmes can sound flamin drastic, if not dangerous.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2012, 02:37 PM

I did 18 Hours of Fasting a few Days ago, for this Blood Test......Not Fun and NO COFFEEEEEE.

Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2012, 02:48 PM

Yes I watched it I find these programs fascinating, and have been watching all of Michael Mosley's recent ones. (In case you missed it there was another on aging too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...Looking_Young/)

What I find really interesting is almost everything they are now uncovering via research, correlates with what my friend Tracey taught me around 15 years ago, some of which also confirms my own findings on various things.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2012, 02:54 PM

I've didn't watch the programme, but it looks interesting and if I have time I may watch it later - so thanks Meg for putting it up.
Although I enjoy food, I am trying to adjust portions a bit more these days. Like a lot of people I used to be able to eat as much as I wanted without restriction, but not so these days. I also deliberately fast now and then, especially if I want to feel a bit "sharper" so I do believe (within limits) it can be beneficial for some of us, but I am fortunate, I don't have a specific or underlying health issue - like diabetes, for example.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2012, 02:55 PM

I didn't watch the programme but I always think if you eat a normal balanced diet and have no specific health problems then that is good enough. My parents ate and drank what they liked and lived to 92 and 96 respectively. They ate plenty of red meat and drank alcohol in moderation most days. I have high cholestorol at the moment so am having to watch the fat content of what I eat but I would certainly never fast or give up meat or anything drastic like that.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2012, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
At last ... something the health gurus recommend that I can comply with ... not been a foody fan.

Though I do have a weakness for choccy.
Morticia It appears it may be the case that what you eat is not as important as how much . So choccy is allowed in moderation.

I really need to watch the programme again in full , I dozed of during the last bit ( after a 12 hour day baby sitting a one year old and a couple of glasses wine ) .
So I may not have got the whole picture, but it seems in an effort to help the body to survive fasting can prompt it to produce new cells.
Even those of us who have not treated our bodies very well over the years can regain a level of fitness by reducing the amount we eat.

They showed the Sikh gentleman aged over 100 competing in the London marathon, he attributed the secret of his longevity and agile brain to eating a small diet.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

08-08-2012, 03:31 PM

I tell you what I've always wondered ..

Cast your mind back to the days when all you saw was thin people walking about ... no fatties ... can we still call them fatties?
Anyway these thinnies probably came from the generation that were bought up on meat and two veg meals, no junk food ... and might even have remembered food rationing! Yet in the main they seem to have healthier constitutions.
So .. is all this junk food the culprit for over-weightness ... or are food additives to blame?

And another oddity ... hope I don't offend anyone here but where has all the young mens hair gone? They all seem to recede or go bald early in their early twenties!

Yes .. I know I'm sad to spot these things and Mr M thinks I'm truly sad as watching TV I'm always pointing and going 'Look at him! Young ... Bald and Fat!'

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top