Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 03:10 PM

Re: An appeal for help

Backup only saves up to the point it was done. it is no good backing up to the same drive "C" the computer works on, if that drives crashes then so does your backup.

on in the box next to start type in backup. that takes you to a highlighted backup settings page so go to more options scroll down to backup to different drive.

that should put you on to what to do next. you will need a different drive say to and extrnl one possibly which would show up when you plug it in as drive "X"?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh, I've only done one disc image of my hard drive, and that was some time ago. It is recommended to do them more often?
It makes sense to do so. How many programs have you installed since your last disc image? What if a Windoze update buggers up your settings? Using an image stored remotely on an external drive allows you to get everything back to what it was. If you do do an image, make sure you create a boot-disc to start your PC and recover the previously saved image file.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Backup only saves up to the point it was done. it is no good backing up to the same drive "C" the computer works on, if that drives crashes then so does your backup.

on in the box next to start type in backup. that takes you to a highlighted backup settings page so go to more options scroll down to backup to different drive.

that should put you on to what to do next. you will need a different drive say to and extrnl one possibly which would show up when you plug it in as drive "X"?
Unless you're updating to Dropbox/OneDrive/GoogleDrive which are normally continuously synchronised.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
It makes sense to do so. How many programs have you installed since your last disc image? What if a Windoze update buggers up your settings? Using an image stored remotely on an external drive allows you to get everything back to what it was. If you do do an image, make sure you create a boot-disc to start your PC and recover the previously saved image file.
Actually, none!
I haven't installed any new software for years, although of course, there might be some updates.

In any event, I think I'll do a new disc image anyway just to be on the safe side, along with a boot disc too of course.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2019, 07:44 PM

Unless you're updating to Dropbox/OneDrive/GoogleDrive which are normally continuously synchronised.
My One Drive is synchronised, but as far as I can tell the Dropbox isn't. Perhaps you have to have the paid version?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

31-08-2019, 09:46 PM

I think that Dropbox does auto-sync even with the free version. The paid version gives you more storage space.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

31-08-2019, 10:50 PM

I think that Dropbox does auto-sync even with the free version. The paid version gives you more storage space.
Perhaps it's a setting that I haven't noticed then. My recent files do not automatically synchronise with Dropbox.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-09-2019, 05:00 PM

I've created a new disc image on both of my external hard drives - each took 2 hours!

I then attempted to create a System Repair Disc using a DVD. The process failed with some message I didn't understand, something about the files not copied for some reason. The DVD was blank.

I've read on the internet that a system repair disc isn't really necessary, again something I don't understand.

I'm afraid I haven't a clue what to do now!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top