Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 12:12 AM

Re: Phony Meat

I eat lots of canned tuna but never think about it having a face and as long as it doesn't look like it did then I'm ok

I can't eat anything that looks as though it's been alive, fish, prawns yuck!
I don't know how anyone can eat tripe, just looking at it makes me heave
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 02:10 AM

I think I would always have to have fish in my diet.. I can do without red meat and chicken.. but I don't think I could give up fish.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 07:43 AM

We eat less red meat now, but unlike Honey, I want my food to have "had a face". As such, I am happy to gut and butcher meat (and fowl and fish)for my own consumption. In this way I know where its come from and what exactly I'm, eating. I understand some people being a bit fazed by this, but me and my OH have no such problems.

I don't replace meat / fish /fowl with artificial substitutes. I eat less of better quality produce. Similarly, We grow as many of our own vegetables as possible so I think we have a healthy balanced diet.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 12:42 PM

Getting the mix to bind really is a matter of trial and error be it lentils,soya or whatever,an egg helps.

Can humans live on a vegetarian diet?-of course they can-I just like to eat meat as well.

As for taste for meat eaters who decide to give it up look for foods rich in `umani` -the 5th taste.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 06:49 PM

The Inuit people who live above the arctic circle traditionally had a diet which was 100% vegetable free and extremely high in fat. Until Russian and other western explorers/invaders entered their domain bringing a host of diseases with them, the Inuits were incredibly healthy and longlived.
Dr. Vilhjalmur Stefansson, a Canada-based ethnologist spent almost 10 years living on this diet with no ill effects. When he returned to "civilisation" scientists pooh poohed his claims and he and a colleague repeated the experiment by eating nothing but meat and fish for a year under laboratory conditions - again the two were ridiculously healthy and actually lost weight on this high-fat diet.

http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.co...-but-meat.html

Maybe it is the vegetables which are bad for us??????????
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 01:02 PM

Actually, my concoction of Soy crumbles, cooked brown rice, and egg with breadcrumbs held togeter very well when I formed "meatballs" and baked them in the oven. We had whole grain spaghetti and "meatballs" last night and it was pretty tastey. Hubby and Son ate it.. with no complaints.

next time I will try oats as a binder instead of breadcrumbs.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 11:57 PM

[QUOTE=Grumblewagon;514185]We eat less red meat now, but unlike Honey, I want my food to have "had a face". As such, I am happy to gut and butcher meat (and fowl and fish)for my own consumption. In this way I know where its come from and what exactly I'm, eating. I understand some people being a bit fazed by this, but me and my OH have no such problems.
QUOTE]

Are Scottish laws different to ours George, because I didn't think it was legal to kill and butcher without a licence or Certificate of Competence nowadays? Do you use a captive bolt gun? I believe there are rules about safe disposal of the biproducts too, but maybe it's different where you are? I know different rules apply if the meat is to be sold to the public and then needs to be inspected and passed fit for human consumption first.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2014, 02:10 PM

I no longer do any of these but a fishing rod and a ruddy powerful air rifle are enough for trout,the odd grayling,pigeons and rabbits.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2014, 11:04 PM

Audrey - I think you're doing exactly the right thing. Jame Oliver (UK chef) has recently won a case against MacDonalds - http://aattp.org/chef-jamie-oliver-p...n-consumption/
I occasionally buy minced steak and freeze it in 100g portions. With an egg and some minced onions, that makes a reasonable burger. For extra flavour stir some mango chutney or corriander and ginger or curry powder into the mince.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2014, 11:15 PM

Audrey - I think you're doing exactly the right thing. Jame Oliver (UK chef) has recently won a case against MacDonalds - http://aattp.org/chef-jamie-oliver-p...n-consumption/
I occasionally buy minced steak and freeze it in 100g portions. With an egg and some minced onions, that makes a reasonable burger. For extra flavour stir some mango chutney or corriander and ginger or curry powder into the mince.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top