Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 01:51 PM

Protein Powders

I have been enjoying a nice blended smoothie in the mornings... Ususally after a nice 3 or 4 mile walk.

I have been using a Soy Protein powder.. however, I see Whey, Isolates, goat, milk, albumin and other plant based proteins.. Some are super high in calories.. some not.. and of course differ in grams of protein.

Opinions on what is best? I'm trying to lose weight yet keep my muscle mass.. AZZ?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 01:57 PM

Re: Protein Powders

I am not keen on protein drinks myself tbh Audrey (most of them contain so much junk), though, if I had to, I would go for home-made yoghurt or Milk Kefir both high in protein and both more easily digested (and, will also help you digest other food too!).

Why not take a look at the Palaeolithic diet? Plenty of protein to help keep your muscle mass yet no 'bad' carbs, so you'll look a lot more defined and fit and without even trying.

Body composition is 80% diet and 20% exercise after all
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 02:14 PM

My concern is calories.. I do not use any artificial sweeteners... and refined sugar is a no-no. It's also high in calories.

I have used Stevia to my satisfaction.. but it's taste is a tad off IMO. Unsweeted yoghurt is not pleasant tasting to me. It tastes spoiled and sour.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Unsweeted yoghurt is not pleasant tasting to me. It tastes spoiled and sour.
You probably won't like Kefir then

What I've found is, when you go on a 'clean' diet, free of all the rubbish/artificial flavours and enhancers, your tastes change, somewhat reverting back to normal. So everything things like cherries and blueberries taste amazing.

How about Hemp Protein? Or straight up whey protein powders?
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2014, 10:18 PM

My son swears by protein shakes after a workout. He says they make a tremendous difference.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2014, 08:45 AM

Protein shakes are fine but no substitute for a good diet. To gain muscle and yet not put on weight exercise with the heaviest weights/machine tension you can. Muscles are very efficient at burning calories and you have no danger of ever becoming `muscle bound` -not too much testosterone kicking around I assume. A few reps that push to the limits are far better than dozens intended to `tone`

PS do what I say rather than what I do these days
AudreyII
USA

21-08-2014, 10:37 AM

I have been reading that Whey powder is probabley the all around best.. perhaps followed by Egg.. (provided that you have no allergies). Soy contains Isoflavins which convert to estrogen.. Which may be fine for some, but for women prone to breast and uterine cancer... not so good. Men have experienced feminiation from soy.. not sure if I believe that.

You are right about taste changing Azz... I never much cared for fruit... now I crave it. maybe because it's the only sweet thing I eat now.
fredamiller
New Member!
US
fredamiller is female 

16-05-2016, 06:00 AM

Hey,

I have also tried such protein powders of neutralite . They have great taste and keeps us healthy and lively whole day long.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2016, 06:14 AM

Hi

I have to smile when I see all the marketing going on about protein powders.

Whey is pig food, cheap as chips, repackaged and sold at a vast mark up.

The additional processing to make it food safe is negligible as far as costs are concerned and the flavoured ones are full of chemical additives.

Plenty of natural low fat proteins around.

Fish, skinless chicken and loads of vegetables is not a bad basis for healthy eating.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
I have been using a Soy Protein powder..
Soy is something I want out of my life same as sugar. It is not the health food it was advertised as and I suspect is doing a lot of people a lot of harm.

Of course Soy producers will promote it as hard as they can but you need to do your own research here.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top