Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 05:22 PM

Re: Eating for Health

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
If you are putting on weight then you are eating too much....no excuses end of story !

Not always so Malcolm. I believe we put weight on naturally as we get older. Some people might say it's because we slow down, don't do so much physical exercise etc but I know it's not so.
I did lot's of exercise before fracturing my ankle. I did 7 mile hilly walks, went swimming and to the gym - also ran around after my toddler grandson Josh 2 or 3 time s a week. I reckon my life was as busy as it was when I was young.

In spite of this my waist measurement which used to be 24" has gone up to 30" and my hips are now measuring 40" I tried to fight it with less calories and more exercise but suddenly realised how pointless it was. I now accept my new size and hope I don't gain any more weight.

In my opinion Mother nature is giving us a layer of fat to live off should we fall ill.

It's all in the hormones and there's not a thing we can do about it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I make sure l can afford good food, l cook all my food from scratch and grow fruit, soft fruit and vegetables. It's the 'treats' that have caused me to put weight on.
I weigh 10. 9 st and l am classed as obese because l am 5ft 2in.
Ha ha me too. I am a chocoholic and could live on it 24/7.

I also can afford decent food but I'm thinking more of people with young families. A bag of rubbish frozen sausages will go a lot further than a pack of classy sun-dried tomato and herb sausages from a butcher.

Rubbish, fattening food like chicken nuggets and frozen pizzas are much cheaper than a good joint of beef.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

I also can afford decent food but I'm thinking more of people with young families. A bag of rubbish frozen sausages will go a lot further than a pack of classy sun-dried tomato and herb sausages from a butcher.

Rubbish, fattening food like chicken nuggets and frozen pizzas are much cheaper than a good joint of beef.
Longd, I wouldn't mind but l don't eat pizza, chicken nuggets or Chinese/Indian take-aways. I have an occasional sausage that has to be over 90% pork! I don't take sugar or have it on porridge or cereals.
I admit since my big dog died and the cold weather, l haven't walked as much as l used to.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

I also can afford decent food but I'm thinking more of people with young families.
A bag of rubbish frozen sausages will go a lot further than a pack of classy sun-dried tomato and herb sausages from a butcher.
What is wrong with some soup made with organic vegetables and home made wholemeal bread, cheap and nutritious.

There are many cheap nutritious meals people just need to take the time to learn how to cook.
Many people are lazy these days, cooking is about planning ahead many just don't do that and 'want it now'.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 07:10 PM

If we all move more and take in less calories than we burn in a week, we'll all lose weight. We don't need as many as we get older and do less work and a whole organic chicken at around £7 would make a cheaper meal than a McDonalds trip for a family of four and much better for 'em.
I admit I'm not a big cook these days but I've never given my kids or grandson rubbish.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 08:18 PM

About 2 years ago, I went for my Diabetic check up and there was a new Nurse who was doing it, anyway, she looked at me in disgust and told me that I was obsese, I said no i'm not, I weigh under 10 stone, bearing in mind that this Nurse was about 18 stone herself, but when I came out of her office I went and complained to the Head Nurse about her, who said she was going to have a word with her, because so many people have complained about her bad attitude towards the patients. I was really upset afterwards.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
For years we have been told not to eat fat from meat, or Butter. or lard, and sugar is poison
Eat plenty of Fruit and vegetables, all covered in Chemicals unless you are lucky to grow them or be near a Farmer’s Market

In that case; Why are many more people Obese and suffer with Diabetes and ill health?.
You have over-simplified a huge situation underpinned by corrupt corporations and health organisations.

Very few people, companies or media outlets have told people that sugar is poison. This Class A drug is doing an absolute roaring trade thank you very much. It is the perfect Cocaine substitute. It addicts people, sparks off their pleasure/reward senses, messes with their bodily functions and leaves them dependent and begging for more.

Imagine if you had invented such a "magic bullet" substance? What supreme luck to have that addictive substance endorsed and sanctioned by the world's health organisations. Now manufacturer's everywhere can create any products they like and stuff some Class A drug in there to ensure that the hapless punters artificially think that the product is tasty and enjoyable when all that is really happening is that drug is fooling their senses. The punters are largely stupid and ignorant and don't realise just why they like that product. They just know it tastes great and will come back for more.

This is how the world is currently operating. It is legalised drug peddling for the huge sugar corporations. We don't view sugar like cocaine or heroine because we've been conditioned not to.

The obesity problem is due largely to this situation. Fat people are not bad people. Many have just been the hapless victims of an insipid and divisive system which puts sugar into just about every product. The victims think they are eating reasonably healthy food, like for example a simple carton of chopped tomatoes. In fact all the sugars in all these products have mounted up and messed with their brain sensors and their bodily functions. It leaves the victims feeling hungry when in fact their body is not in the least bit hungry. So they snack and generally eat far more food than their body needs.

It is NOT their fault in many cases. The Class A drug that is sugar has fooled them. There is nothing wrong with eating when we feel hungry. In fact I firmly believe that is the right way to eat, to listen to your body and only eat when it is telling you it wants something.

But if those sensors and mechanisms have been compromised and messed up by a purpose built drug, then what chance do those victims have?

The addition of sugar to products which are not intrinsically sweet treats should imo be outlawed. It is utterly immoral.

A sugary treat every now and then like a cake or pudding is fine. We can identify what that product is, we know it is bad for us, and we can limit how often we have it.

Everyday products which are not sugary treats are an entirely different matter. There is no moral excuse for loading them with sugar. Only the existence of corrupt power mongers allows the situation to persist. So it is up to us as individuals to educate each other to the situation, to make people aware that they are being deliberately duped and drugged in order that companies can sell more of their products and make lots of money at the expense of your health.

We have to boycott those products entirely and make our own products instead from scratch using ingredients we can trust.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
If we all move more and take in less calories than we burn in a week, we'll all lose weight.
Problem with this is that none of us know how many calories our bodies need. In an honest and fair world, your body would "tell" you when it wanted/needed calories. It would make you feel peckish and hungry. In today's corrupt world we can no longer rely or trust those bodily senses because most of us have been drugged in such a way as to compromise those senses. So we now have no idea whether we are truly hungry or whether we are just being made to feel hungry artificially. That creates a huge problem.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
There is no such thing as healthy eating, there is only unhealthy eating.
All food is nutritious ... It is just an excess of it that makes it unhealthy.
No Quite.

If there is 'Healthy Eating', then that means there is also 'Unhealthy Eating'
Also, some food such as some Mushrooms, are poisonous!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
For years we have been told not to eat fat from meat, or Butter. or lard, and sugar is poison
Eat plenty of Fruit and vegetables, all covered in Chemicals unless you are lucky to grow them or be near a Farmer’s Market

In that case; Why are many more people Obese and suffer with Diabetes and ill health?.

?

What makes you think Farmers don't use chemicals Azure?

They most certainly do, (unless it is an Organic farm), and what's more, they have access to much stronger chemicals than domestic gardeners are allowed to use too.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top