Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2016, 06:52 AM

Raw Milk

Two articles caught my eye today:

'Closest thing to raw milk' to be sold legally for the first time in Australia, start-up says

Consumers will be able to buy unpasteurised milk legally for the first time in Australia on Thursday.
Key points:

* The milk is treated using high water pressure not heat
* The sale of raw milk is banned in Australia
* CSIRO says there is no evidence of substantial health benefits of this milk

"It's not raw milk, but it's the closest thing to it," according to Saxon Joye, the founder of Made By Cow.
The New South Wales start-up company says it uses high water pressure rather than heat to kill harmful bacteria.

"We believe this is the first time in the world that high pressure processing (HPP) has been used for commercial milk," Mr Joye said.
There was a filmed taste test on the ABC News, no one could tell the difference between raw milk, pasteurised milk and HPP milk. At $5 a litre I can't see it selling that well.

The second was this:

Lawmakers Drink Raw Milk To Celebrate Its Legality, Become Immediately Sick

Although there isn’t proof—and we all know that correlation doesn’t equal causation—there’s certainly the possibility that the raw milk consumption and the illnesses are related. Raw milk is not pasteurized, or heated up to a temperature of 140 degrees F for 20 minutes, a process that kills off bacteria that can cause foodborne illness, including Salmonella, listeria, and E. coli. The Center for Disease Control says that thousands of illnesses, and two deaths, can be linked conclusively to consumption of raw dairy products in the period between 1998 and 2011. The Cornell University food science department, one of the premier such institutions in the world, puts it simply: “We recommend pasteurization of milk intended for consumption by humans.”
Some stupid woman fed her son raw milk in Victoria a couple of years ago which killed him and made three other children very ill. The milk was sold in a health food store as "Bath Milk". As stated in the first article the sale of unpasteurised milk in Australia for consumption is illegal.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2016, 07:23 AM

Re: Raw Milk

I'd say there was a good deal of anti-raw milk propaganda out there and the great "food authorities" have done their level best to prevent humans having access to this rich and nutritious food source.

The hygiene requirements for operating a raw milk dairy are way way more stringent than those for mainstream milk production. Raw milk farmers care very much for their cows and their health and ensure everything throughout the production process is clean and sanitised. The herds are checked for TB and other illnesses very regularly and it is all inspected by 3rd party.

Pitch that against mainstream producers who don't care about the state of the herd, or the production process or hygiene. They operate on the basis that it doesn't matter about bugs and bacteria and how we handle stuff because ultimately the milk is going to be pasteurised etc so they'll all get killed off anyway.

Mainstream milk is effectively a "dead" product. All the benefits have been killed off in the production process. So it ends up being purely a neutral "wet" medium to soak your cornflakes in.

People happily enjoyed raw milk for many many years in the past and some people can luckily still do so today. However the powers that be have done their best to remove your access to it as part of their on-going war on human health. Raw milk is banned in many countries. In the UK you can still get it but there are precious few raw milk dairies left these days as they have largely been undercut by regular milk production, just as local traders have been wiped out by supermarkets.

Eventually people will realise how their food sources have been grossly manipulated by the powers that be and that their health has been damaged as a result. People need to take back their right to decent, raw, natural foods that are uncontaminated and chemical free.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2016, 07:41 AM

Our family of 9 lived opposite a farm . Farmer Jones left us 2 bottles of milk each morning , straight from the cow and still warm . Thick and creamy with cream on the top . We never got sick .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2016, 07:43 AM

Any product that we eat/drink and take from animals i.e. milk, eggs, meat, offal, has got to come from a healthy animal in the first place.
People keep hens in tiny grubby little coops and their eggs are laid in dirty nest boxes then they happily eat the produce from that bird, and wonder why they get sick.
Duck eggs are the worst offenders for carrying disease as their egg shells are more porous and you are carrying a real risk eating those if they are dropped in or near dirty ponds or bedding.
Same goes for milk. If an animal is on medication, like antibiotics or some wormers etc, the milk has a withdrawal period, but not every owner observes this because they won't throw the milk away for a few days and lose money. The animal's milk will also taste different according to what it has been eating. Not many dairy herds are out on grass now, most are commercially used and 'barn fed' with bought in food stuffs, some of which has been contaminated in the past.
Also, it is vital that hygiene regs are applied at milking time, with clean udders and clean equipment, then afterwards with the storage facilities for the milk. There are so many ways these products can become contaminated en route to the consumer, and lastly, how the consumer themself stores it hygienically and at the right temperature. Same with eggs or raw meat. It is perfectly possible that what started out as a good product is unsafe by the time it gets in your morning cup of tea.

I know they say elderly people and pregnant women should not drink raw milk, but I milked 11 goats for many years before it was made illegal to sell raw, and drank nothing else. I had samples laboratory tested and my milk was 'cleaner' and with less bacteria than most cows milk in shops.

I don't know why we drink milk in the first place, it is a pre-weaning food source and certainly not needed once we are on solid food - and cows milk was intended for their own species anyway. I am sure that nature would let women carry on producing milk forever if it was still necessaryat 50 years old.
The fact that humans stop producing milk once a child is weaned shows it has done it's job and no longer needed.
So what do we do? We rob animal mothers of their milk instead, then have to feed the young calves powdered stuff out of a bag to keep them going.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2016, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

<big snip of all the waffle>

People happily enjoyed raw milk for many many years in the past and some people can luckily still do so today. However the powers that be have done their best to remove your access to it as part of their on-going war on human health.
No doubt some of those people "happily enjoying raw milk for many, many years" were the 65,000 people who, between 1912 and 1937 died of tuberculosis contracted from consuming unpasteurised milk in England and Wales alone.

Or perhaps they were some of those who, according to the United States Centers for Disease Control between 1998 and 2011 reported 148 outbreaks, 2,384 illnesses (284 requiring hospitalizations) as well as 2 deaths due to raw milk or cheese products. 79% of the dairy related outbreaks of disease are due to raw milk or cheese products.

No, I think I will stick to pasteurised milk and leave raw milk to the loonies.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2016, 08:29 AM

I would never touch unpasteurised milk with a bargepole! Besides which I prefer a low fat milk.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2016, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Any product that we eat/drink and take from animals i.e. milk, eggs, meat, offal, has got to come from a healthy animal in the first place.
People keep hens in tiny grubby little coops and their eggs are laid in dirty nest boxes then they happily eat the produce from that bird, and wonder why they get sick.
Duck eggs are the worst offenders for carrying disease as their egg shells are more porous and you are carrying a real risk eating those if they are dropped in or near dirty ponds or bedding.
Same goes for milk. If an animal is on medication, like antibiotics or some wormers etc, the milk has a withdrawal period, but not every owner observes this because they won't throw the milk away for a few days and lose money. The animal's milk will also taste different according to what it has been eating. Not many dairy herds are out on grass now, most are commercially used and 'barn fed' with bought in food stuffs, some of which has been contaminated in the past.
Also, it is vital that hygiene regs are applied at milking time, with clean udders and clean equipment, then afterwards with the storage facilities for the milk. There are so many ways these products can become contaminated en route to the consumer, and lastly, how the consumer themself stores it hygienically and at the right temperature. Same with eggs or raw meat. It is perfectly possible that what started out as a good product is unsafe by the time it gets in your morning cup of tea.

I know they say elderly people and pregnant women should not drink raw milk, but I milked 11 goats for many years before it was made illegal to sell raw, and drank nothing else. I had samples laboratory tested and my milk was 'cleaner' and with less bacteria than most cows milk in shops.

I don't know why we drink milk in the first place, it is a pre-weaning food source and certainly not needed once we are on solid food - and cows milk was intended for their own species anyway. I am sure that nature would let women carry on producing milk forever if it was still necessaryat 50 years old.
The fact that humans stop producing milk once a child is weaned shows it has done it's job and no longer needed.
So what do we do? We rob animal mothers of their milk instead, then have to feed the young calves powdered stuff out of a bag to keep them going.

Well said Mups .
I also don't know why we as a species are infatuated with guzzling milk .
( I dont as it happens) .
It is IMO one of the reason people have so many allergies today .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2016, 09:05 AM

Hi

No milk means no cream, yoghurt, butter or cheese.

There is not one single dairy farm locally where the cows are kept in all year., and we are a massive dairy industry here.

Muller Yoghurt is just down the road, as is Belton Cheese, all the milk is tested in the labs and any farm with antibiotics etc in gets sanctioned, and they can't afford that.

The health benefits of raw milk?

People will be telling you next to drink untreated water from your tap.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2016, 09:21 AM

I dont drink milk. . like my coffee black. Mind you i did as a yoof and like the blue tits enjoyed the cream at the top. Unpasteurized but still here............................just.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I dont drink milk. . like my coffee black. Mind you i did as a yoof and like the blue tits enjoyed the cream at the top. Unpasteurized but still here............................just.

And I hope you are 'still here' for a very long time yet.

(BTW, hope its encouraging about your home, - being as you're still here).

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top