Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
callistra
london uk
callistra is female  callistra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 03:23 PM

Food scares- act on or ignore ?

I read about food and nutrition frequently. But Food scares seem to hit the headlines more frequently nowadays. There are 2 that I noted recently.
B.P.A a type of plastic used to line cans and in various plastic containers, its considered a hormone disrupter and estrogen mimic.
The second one a chemical called Acrylamide, apparently a carcinogen, which is released when starches are roasted, baked or toasted, so that means breakfast flakes, toast, roast and baked potatoes, chips, crisps, biscuits, crisp breads etc....
Should we worry or carry on regardless ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 04:04 PM

Re: Food scares- act on or ignore ?

I usually carry on regardless eggs ? Never been ill, beef ? Almost only time we could afford to buy it, never been ill, on and on the scares went and we carried on not worrying ourselves too much.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 04:27 PM

Eating is bad for you, no diet is safe. Pulses make you fart. And chocolate cake?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 05:11 PM

Hi

Generally speaking I ignore them, far too many crackpots out there.

If The Food Standards Agency puts a warning out about a particular batch of food, I would not ignore that.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by callistra ->
I read about food and nutrition frequently. But Food scares seem to hit the headlines more frequently nowadays. There are 2 that I noted recently.
B.P.A a type of plastic used to line cans and in various plastic containers, its considered a hormone disrupter and estrogen mimic.
The second one a chemical called Acrylamide, apparently a carcinogen, which is released when starches are roasted, baked or toasted, so that means breakfast flakes, toast, roast and baked potatoes, chips, crisps, biscuits, crisp breads etc....
Should we worry or carry on regardless ?

I believe a lot of foods/storage containers/everyday items contain all of the things you mentioned, Callistra. Thing is the amounts are minimal - you would have to be eating/using all of them every hour of every day to consume enough to do you harm.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 05:34 PM

I remember some years ago toast was bad for you, then a few years later it wasn't, same with butter, every food item seems to go through phases of it's good for you then bad for you, I just ignore these reports, a lot of it is just scaremongering
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 05:38 PM

I don't really pay much attention to food scares but do that which I have always done...
..eat a good variety of food predominantly fruit,nuts and vegetables and as little processed food as possible .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2016, 09:00 PM

I always assume that these so called food scares are put out by some company hoping to make money out of it. Say butter is bad for you and everyone buys margarine. Say coffee is bad and everyone drinks tea. That's if you take any notice which I don't.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2016, 02:46 AM

The only time I really pay attention is when there's an actual recall on a food I buy regularly. But as far as the basic food scares, no, I usually ignore.
callistra
london uk
callistra is female  callistra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2016, 06:06 PM

I pay attention initially. Any good intentions I start out with, tend to be worn out over a couple of weeks as common sense and a general weariness take over. As others have said, advice changes constantly and conflicts with previous claims.
The other thing that's rarely mentioned in such reports is that the research was conducted on rats, who were fed 1000 times the amount an average person would consume or come in contact with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top