Join for free
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2009, 06:09 PM

Flogging off the Heritage

Southampton Coucil are flogging off a few Old Masters - works from their local municipal gallery, which has paintings by Turner, Monet and Burne-Jones among others - in order to cover a shortfall in their budget. The shortfall is that they`ve committed to build a Heritage Centre themed on the Titanic. In a radio interview today, a Council Mogul informed us that art galleries are Elitist and a Heritage Centre would make culture more accessible to ordinary people.
Now to me, this is the equivalent of selling the family silver, particularly since most of these works were bought with public donations, or were bequeathed / donated, and the rest were bought with public money.
Would you be happy to see your towns` art or artefacts sold to provide other amenities?
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2009, 09:46 PM

Re: Flogging off the Heritage

No I wouldn't be happy....as far as I am aware we have very little art or artefacts here and what we have are kept in a Hall located in our local country park. The public can wander round the hall, at no charge. If they did sell them then there would be nothing to attract public interest. Also they were donated or bought with public donations so in my view 'they' are not the Council's to sell.
Yola
Yola is female  Yola has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2009, 02:35 PM

No!!! Reading is brilliant at destroying/removing what little heritage there is in the town. Living in a listed building I'm a bit of an anorak about retaining the historical integrity of the town and I'm a champion letter writer to the local papers about the decemation that continues to take place!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2009, 11:59 AM

No I would not be happy, our town is steeped in history and goes way back to medieval times, there have been 3 battles here one of which involved our greatest national hero William Wallace.

Another local hero was Sir John DeGreame who fought the English for our freedom and was killed near the town's centre, one road is named after him, Grahams Road.

We also have a Roman wall, Antonines wall, it was the most northern Roman outpost in Britain running from the river Forth to the river Clyde.

The Romans gave up trying to civilise the tribes coz we're all nutters, that's why they built the wall.
Jan
Scotland
Jan is female  Jan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2009, 12:52 PM

No. I wouldn't be happy either. Though I suspect a few things will happen in the next few years that I won't be happy about. goodness knows how long it will take to pay back all the money that's been borrowed. The trouble is once things are sold off you can't get them back.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top