Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 05:25 PM

Weight Watchers Profits Plummet

https://business.financialpost.com/i...-watchers-rout

Oprah owns 8% of the stock of this massive business.

Personally I can't see why weak minded vulnerable women flock to these stupid clubs. The statistics for their success rates are frankly dire.

But hey, if you want to give you hard earned readies to the likes of Oprah then by all means off you go !
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2019, 06:06 PM

Re: Weight Watchers Profits Plummet

Hardly surprising when they've increased their membership fees to unsustainable levels.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 02:58 PM

I think women go to slimming classes because they don't have any support at Home, in a Class you support each other and help each other, whereas at Home you may not be able to resist temptation.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 03:01 PM

What exactly happens at a slimming club class ? They all sit in a restaurant and order nothing I presume ?

Surely dieting is a simple process of measuring both ‘holes’ and accepting one is far larger than the other and not to treat them both the same therefore limit the amount going into at least one of them .... simple
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I think women go to slimming classes because they don't have any support at Home, in a Class you support each other and help each other, whereas at Home you may not be able to resist temptation.
I think you are right Susie being in a club probably spurs people on, knowing that they will be weighed in front of others is a good deterrent and people have to do whatever works for them. If they lose weight because of it and become healthier then it's worth the money.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 03:17 PM

I know being in a fishing club makes sense and they all talk about the monster that was caught when you weren’t there and spread tales about it ‘was this big!’ But got away
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2019, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
It's an exercise in self-delusion. They perpetually believe that "someone else" will somehow wave that magical wand and make them not fat any more.

Hundreds of different diets, lots of different clubs, a plethora of different eating systems. Red days, green days, sin counting, combination eating . . .

And none of it, not one of these stupid commercial snake oil systems actually results in significant numbers of people properly and permanently losing weight.

All these people need is simple food education, the understanding of how their body works and the realisation that all they have to do is to stop feeding the monster and to just eat the right foods.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

07-03-2019, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think you are right Susie being in a club probably spurs people on, knowing that they will be weighed in front of others is a good deterrent and people have to do whatever works for them. If they lose weight because of it and become healthier then it's worth the money.
Problem is Longdogs they don't lose weight either properly or permanently. They lose a few initial pounds (which is guaranteed any time anyone restricts diet) and then it quickly plateaus out. They get despondent, stop paying the stupid £5 (or whatever it is these days) to attend sessions to be humiliated at the weighings and just go back to normal routine having learned nothing and having still not been given the right food education.

Slimming clubs are simply a multi-million dollar industry nothing more. An industry preying on weak vulnerable people, mostly women and using psychological techniques and lots of BS to keep their customers coming back time and time again. Indeed their very business model is predicated on repeat custom for without it there would be no business.

If they actually taught people how to properly analyse food products and how to eat the right things, it would be a one-time venture. People would leave with knowledge and never again need to come back.

Weight gain is a symptom not a root cause. It is the by-product of ignorance and mis-understanding about the world and about who we are. The root cause is ignorance. The lack of understanding of the world and how it is currently operating. The lack of understanding of the forces at work to purposefully make you ill, to make you buy harmful food and drink products, to make you docile and generally lacking energy and drive. The lack of understanding of what real food is and what it actually contains.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2019, 09:47 AM

I've never understood the idea of dieting. Going on a diet is a temporary thing, but eating healthily should be a permanent state of mind.

I think these organisations take advantage of the human need for a magic wand. But for many I am sure there is a strong social element to joining. They get more from it than losing weight. It may be isolating to be very overweight and meeting people in the same situation gives a lot of reassurance. That might be why people keep going back with no intention of ever really losing weight because that would exclude them from the group.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2019, 12:04 PM

It's an odd idea people are talking about women, when you go to these places there are a lot of men too. Weight isn't a purely female problem.

Some people find help and support and make friends in these places, I found it wasn't for me but some of their recipe books are pretty good, the pure points one I have used on many occasions.

One thing they don't do well is their ready made products range that's a huge con.

I wonder if they are losing people though because of the rise in prices of memberships. When it was a few pounds for a month it was within most people's reach but I don't think it's as affordable now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top