Join for free
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2009, 04:42 PM

The media have done it again!!!

OK big rant comming on, do any of you get mad when the media, in this case Sky News start using a totaly wrong word to describe something and no one seems to notice.

Today we have 'Petting Farms' (Story associated with the e-coli outbreak) and these so called intelligent newsreaders are using it like it's the right word.........is it hell.

If you run a farm for children calling it a pet farm might be OK but how do you get from that to the word 'petting' it's just some media numpty hasn't any idea about the language and all the other numpties are following on 'cos no one has the guts to say to the programme director "I'm not using that word, you've just made it up!!!!"

ETA - Just checked my OED and it's not in there
misty
Northamptonshire UK
misty is female  misty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2009, 07:25 PM

Re: The media have done it again!!!

Petting farms!! The mind boggles lol
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2009, 08:33 PM

They're called that here too! What maddens me about the TV is that an irritating number of announcers do not use proper pronunciation: Feb YOO ary for the month, ARtic for the Polar regions. Sets your teeth on edge!! Guess I'm turning into a chrochety old lady!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
They're called that here too! What maddens me about the TV is that an irritating number of announcers do not use proper pronunciation: Feb YOO ary for the month, ARtic for the Polar regions. Sets your teeth on edge!! Guess I'm turning into a chrochety old lady!
I think the pronunciation thing is because it is no longer taught in schools, and yes it is annoying, but this 'petting farm' thing seems to me to be so bad, yet Sky are unaware of what they are doing wrong !!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2009, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
OK big rant comming on, do any of you get mad when the media, in this case Sky News start using a totaly wrong word to describe something and no one seems to notice.

Today we have 'Petting Farms' (Story associated with the e-coli outbreak) and these so called intelligent newsreaders are using it like it's the right word.........is it hell.

If you run a farm for children calling it a pet farm might be OK but how do you get from that to the word 'petting' it's just some media numpty hasn't any idea about the language and all the other numpties are following on 'cos no one has the guts to say to the programme director "I'm not using that word, you've just made it up!!!!"

ETA - Just checked my OED and it's not in there
Have to agree with you Losos-I noticed it too listening to Sky News-probably they will carry on using it as well unless someone points it out to them-ridiculous
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2009, 09:29 PM

I doubt if it would do one bit of good to call it to their attention! They simply do not care.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2009, 11:42 PM

Ah ha, Harvey they've got you rattled my boy.

It's the battle of words and useless expletives the sells news items isn't it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2009, 11:47 PM

I heard the term 'Petting farm' used on the news this morning and thought I had misheard

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top