Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 12:04 PM

When Democracy Died.

It’s difficult to put into words by an ordinary person, far removed from the shame that is happening in our name in the bubble, but I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking the same.
I only know that the people of the UK have seen for ourselves, exactly what a complete farce our Parliament is, especially since 23rd June 2016.

We are in the middle of the biggest crisis this country has ever known, apart from two World Wars, and all our disgraceful, remote politicians have done for the last three and a half years, is act like school children squabbling with each other as each faction continually use every trick in the book to grapple for control over the UK’s exit from the EU.
To the people, it’s as if they are living in a completely different reality from the rest of us.

Just look at what has happened. Those who voted Remain are bombarded every single day with the message that Brexit is happening against their will, while those of us who voted Leave and won, are rightly bitter and disillusioned at Parliament’s deliberate attempt to thwart Brexit, and made us wonder if we will EVER leave.

Obviously, this is just my opinion, It won’t happen overnight, but I believe that our Parliament, the political elites, are a busted flush. Why? Because they have utterly destroyed democracy in this country. They can argue among themselves as often as they wish, they can try to convince themselves that Parliament is sovereign. But they know, as do the people, that it is the people that are sovereign. As long as they refuse to accept this. Democracy is dead.

The Britain we live in today has turned us into two warring factions, all thanks to our London bubble wrapped politicians and their partners-in-crime, the EU, with their intransigent refusal to carry out the will of the people and honour the result of the referendum.

I have never known such a sense of betrayal that Britain didn’t leave on March 29th, as promised.

I also believe that our form of Government has to change, because the vast majority of people, Remainers and Leavers, no longer trust or have faith in politicians.

We need Proportional Representation, which allows smaller parties to enter Parliament, surely this is the way to go. Our current lot of politicians have shown us that whoever wins an election can push their views forward, even if those views are not supported by the people. This cannot continue. I am embarrassed at what the image of Britain is to those from other countries. It feels as though we will forever be held up as an example of “how not to do it” rather than be known as the bastion of Democracy as we once were.

Your thoughts please?
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 12:09 PM

Re: When Democracy Died.

I agree 100%!
Bungee
France
Bungee is female 

08-10-2019, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
It’s difficult to put into words by the ordinary person, far removed from the bubble, but I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking in the same.
I only know that the people of the UK have seen exactly what a complete farce our Parliament is, ever since 23rd June 2016.

We are in the middle of the biggest crisis this country has ever known, apart from two World Wars, and all our disgraceful, remote politicians have done for the last three and a half years, is act like school children squabbling with each other as each faction continually use every trick in the book to grapple for control over the UK’s exit from the EU.
To the people, it’s as if they are living in a completely different reality from the rest of us.

Just look at what has happened. Those who voted Remain are bombarded every single day with the message that Brexit is happening against their will, while those of us who voted Leave and won,are bitter and disillusioned at Parliament’s deliberate attempt to thwart Brexit, and made us wonder if we will EVER leave.

Obviously, this is just my opinion, It won’t happen overnight, but I believe that our Parliament, the political elites, are a busted flush.Why? Because they have utterly destroyed democracy in this country. They can argue among themselves as often as they wish, they can try to convince themselves that Parliament is sovereign. But they know, as do the people, that it is the people that are sovereign. As long as they refuse to accept this. Democracy is dead.

The Britain we live in today has turned us into two warring factions, all thanks to our London bubble wrapped politicians and their partners-in-crime, the EU, with their intransigent refusal to carry out the will of the people and honour the result of the referendum.

I have never known such a sense of betrayal that Britain didn’t leave on March 29th, as promised.

I also believe that our form of Government has to change, because the vast majority of people, Remainers and Leavers, no longer trust or have faith in politicians.

We need Proportional Representation, which allows smaller parties to enter Parliament, surely this is the way to go. Our current lot of politicians have shown us that whoever wins an election can push their views forward, even if those views are not supported by the people. This cannot continue. I am embarrassed at what the image of Britain is to those from other countries. It feels as though we will forever be held up as an example of “how not to do it” rather than be known as the bastion of Democracy as we once were.

Your thoughts please?
Are these your own words? Or if not, would you give the link to the site you lifted them from..
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 12:41 PM

Bungee, I cannot honestly say these are all of my own words. They have been chosen from me, my thoughts, and yes, even extracts that still resonate with me on everything regarding our politicians, Brexit, the EU and democracy in general.and all
gained from watching every news programme, every newspaper, every headline, every article, every political programme on tv and radio and the individual politician that I have seen daily being interviewed.

Has the way I have put it into a post offended you in some way? I said Democracy is dead. Thankfully, the thought Police haven't won yet!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 12:47 PM

You know me, Shropshire Girl, I agree with all your posts and this one is no exception.

Meanwhile in the EU, if you think there is unity, peace and constructive dialogue then think again. When powerful nations leave treaties there are always power struggles to fill the void thats left by the parting nation and the the EU is no exception.

Here we have, behind the scenes an almighty power struggle with France prepared to throw Ireland and Germany under the bus to grab power away from Merkel by going for a no-deal Brexit. (By vetoing the extension) This would hit Germany (in recession) really hard and Ireland, who Germany (and the UK) bailed out about 10 years ago even harder. This would give France the financial and economic upper hand in the EU and try and take Germanys crown - especially when there are UK MEP Parliamentary seats up for grabs, bringing them closer and closer to Merkels shoulders rather than riding on her coat tails as France has done for all these years.

On the other hand, there is recession hit Germany (and its emissions scandal and bankrupt Deutsche Bank) - who knows what France are up to and to avoid the financial disaster of a no-deal Brexit, it is adamant that "Only Northern Ireland remaining in the customs union would prevent a no-deal"...

... Or in other words - Germany are desperate now for Mays Withdrawal Bill as its the only thing that will avoid the no-deal Macron is now going for that would cause enormous damage to Germanys economy (and Holland incidentally).

Meanwhile in Ireland, Varadkar, who has been grandstanding in front of the UK, Germany and France has so far let the EU guide him on his position, his little voice from his bankrupt, bailed out, tin pot country saying big words at the big boys table, only to find that now, between the UK, Germany and France he has backed himself into a corner with only the following outcomes ...

Macron - no deal = Ireland gets thrown under the bus with Germany (and Holland) - (it's in his interest to veto the Benn extension incidentally)

Merkel - want's Mays deal which won't fly - so Ireland and Germany (and Holland) get thrown under the bus

Boris new backstop - won't fly so its no deal and Ireland gets thrown under the bus with Germany

Barnier - A "Good Deal" ! which means Germany and France are OK and Ireland gets thrown under the bus (think NI outside the customs union with FTA between USA and EU plus Switz, South Korea, Australia, Canada and New Zealand). This leaves Germany once more to bail out the mess in Ireland just like it did before, but this time, without the help from the UK. This is one Merkel can choke on all on her own

Their last saving grace is for the "grandstanding 3", Varadkar, Merkel and Macron to stare each other down and pray that their collusion with the remainers in Parliament over the Benn Bill forces an extension and they can breathe for another 3 months while they plot another betrayal against their own people in the UK.

... but there seems to be a big problem with the Benn Bill ... and they are getting very twitchy, especially as the UK has just announced 88% of our imports will be tarriff free in a no-deal Brexit, 46 trade agreements are ready to sign, the Calais border will remain fully functional and the 27 slip further and further into recession.

The people will be coming for Parliament soon, judgement day is not far away .... Remember, the 27 have voters too and what were they told by their unelected leaders ?

... there will be a 2nd referendum and the UK will stay

... we will punish the UK and they will pay !

... the UK will sign the withdrawal agreement and will be non-voting members of the EU forever

... the UK will be prevented from leaving.

Well, the people of the 27 will have some serious questions of their own soon....
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

08-10-2019, 01:16 PM

Thanks Bread.

Your post is a real eye-opener! I was slowly going swivel-eyed trying to figure out what on earth is going on. I see Merkel is reported today as saying "An agreement is unlikely". so it looks as though one of your belief in the options is coming to the fore.

Who would have ever thought that another of your options would be Macron of all people!! but I guess it is as you say, he will not be doing it as goodwill towards the UK, but more to barge his way to the front for dominance.

According to "The UK in a Changing Europe"
France would gain 5 of the UK's seats if we leave during Parliament. Spain would gain 5 seats, Italy would gain 3, Netherlands 3, Ireland 2, and Austria, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Poland, Romania and Slovakia 1 each.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that we are able to leave on 31st, as no doubt, many others are too.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Thanks Bread.

Your post is a real eye-opener! I was slowly going swivel-eyed trying to figure out what on earth is going on. I see Merkel is reported today as saying "An agreement is unlikely". so it looks as though one of your belief in the options is coming to the fore.

Who would have ever thought that another of your options would be Macron of all people!! but I guess it is as you say, he will not be doing it as goodwill towards the UK, but more to barge his way to the front for dominance.

According to "The UK in a Changing Europe"
France would gain 5 of the UK's seats if we leave during Parliament. Spain would gain 5 seats, Italy would gain 3, Netherlands 3, Ireland 2, and Austria, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Poland, Romania and Slovakia 1 each.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that we are able to leave on 31st, as no doubt, many others are too.
Germany have the maximum seats which I think is something like 97 or 98 (something like that) so France and Spain catch up....

The other seats are reserved for the Balkans when they join most likely - another 6 non-contributors. I bet Merkel is happy with that one
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 01:32 PM

SG & Bread!

Thanks for some of the best posts I've seen, about Brexit , over the last few years.

Well said!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2019, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Germany have the maximum seats which I think is something like 97 or 98 (something like that) so France and Spain catch up....

The other seats are reserved for the Balkans when they join most likely - another 6 non-contributors. I bet Merkel is happy with that one
Bread, l love all you say, you explain the eu position very well,
But are you not forgetting our our main problems dont come from
the eu, but from our home grown, self serving POSHOC?
What more shyte can they contrive between now and exit date?
What MORE stupidity are they capable of given their mental state!
Do you believe they are going to let Boris resurect the tory party by
fixing up a partial deal? I dont!
Which leaves us with? What?
The only sure thing will be a GE in which either Nigel gets elected
and exit is executed ! Or someone else is elected and it all starts
again! Imo?
Regards Donkeyman!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

09-10-2019, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Bread, l love all you say, you explain the eu position very well,
But are you not forgetting our our main problems dont come from
the eu, but from our home grown, self serving POSHOC?
What more shyte can they contrive between now and exit date?
What MORE stupidity are they capable of given their mental state!
Do you believe they are going to let Boris resurect the tory party by
fixing up a partial deal? I dont!
Which leaves us with? What?
The only sure thing will be a GE in which either Nigel gets elected
and exit is executed ! Or someone else is elected and it all starts
again! Imo?
Regards Donkeyman!

I tend to categorise the POSHOC remainers as the EU 5th column.

To me they are 2 cheeks of the same arse. All self serving, all undemocratic and all enemies of the people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top