Join for free
Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2016, 09:08 AM

Re: When you think of America...........

For goodness sake never go to Miami Airport or if you do don't judge the rest of America on the appalling people you will encounter there.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2016, 12:00 PM

When we visited our relatives in New England you couldn't have hoped to meet nicer people, and that included all the other people we met whilst there.

On the other hand, when I worked in an American-run hospital in Saudi Arabia the American staff, most of whom were recruited from Atlanta and the southern states, came across as so superior: no other nationality could compare to them.

So is it the different parts of America that vary in how their people are, or are the Americans in general more aggressive and superior when abroad?
Derbygal
Idaho USA
Derbygal is female  Derbygal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 08:19 PM

I am British by birth, speak English, and American by choice.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Derbygal ->
I am British by birth, speak English, and American by choice.
When we were younger it did cross our minds, briefly, that we might benefit from emigrating to America, but we were led to believe that, unlike Britain, people can't just walk in.

I'd be interested to learn, if you have any information, of what hurdles are to be jumped these days if one wants to become an American citizen, not that we'd do that now; it's a bit late for us at our time of life!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I think you're right.

The Americans think they're great!
I so agree with them.
Smile
Tippi
Tippi is female  Tippi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
...I'd be interested to learn, if you have any information, of what hurdles are to be jumped these days if one wants to become an American citizen...
Here is everything you need to know:

https://www.usa.gov/become-us-citizen
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-01-2017, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tippi ->
Here is everything you need to know:

https://www.usa.gov/become-us-citizen
Thanks. Very interesting.

I had a good look through the various tests. The 100 questions about the US I'm sure I could remember, or at least most of them; as for the English test - no problem, although I'd feel obliged to point out to the interviewers that they have made some basic spelling mistakes (it's colour, not color, for example)!

Apart from all that, I'm afraid we wouldn't qualify under any of the various provisions. The family I have over there are not close enough, according to the list, and as I am retired and my wife will soon be I'm afraid the matter of jobs is out of the question!

All academic, of course, as we are a bit past it now when it comes to emigrating.
Derbygal
Idaho USA
Derbygal is female  Derbygal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 02:28 PM

I believe its complex if you want to come here legally. I came to the States 32 years ago ( and still have my British accent !), I married my American husband who was then serving in the 82nd Airborne Division. Seemed easier for us to apply for all the documentation, etc in the time he was on leave. So, I believe its a little more complex if a person dosen't have family here or relatives but just want to come live here and work.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 02:58 PM

I would guess it isnigh on impossible these days
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2017, 04:43 PM

Just go via Mexico before Trump builds his wall .

Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top