Join for free
Page 6 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2015, 02:09 PM

Re: The Bible bits they removed

Originally Posted by DragonsRealm ->
to people with dyslexia he is" DOG".
Funny you should say that DR I am dyslexic (I really am) and worship my dog.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2015, 02:26 PM

We have to call him something don't we
Otherwise we get who ? who ?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2015, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Not in my opinion. Atheists and Bible followers both use the same English term as a reference when writing or talking about religion. Should we all say 'the one who has no name' (or similar)? Easier and probably more sensible to use the same term that everyone else has been using in our neck of the woods for years.

If I were to say that a deity called 'fjjjdxl' came to me and showed the true way, would that be any more acceptable?
I appreciate your response Mart, but do you not see that in talking about this terminology, you are still "lumping" everything together? Why should we all have to go reaching for the same definition of "whatever it is"? To do so makes the assumption that the "thing" whatever it is, is the same, which may not be the case.

i.e. Pauline has herself a spiritual experience which changes her life, she subsequently goes reaching for the explanation handed to her on a plate that it is the Holy Spirit and God.

Someone on the other side of the world is given something very special to eat and as a result has a spiritual experience that changes his life, should he go grasping for that same single definition that it must be God?

A person has an accident, almost dies, and in the few seconds where their heart gave out and they technically died but were later resuscitated, they experience something incredible that changes their life, again must they go grasping at the explanation handed on a plate that this is God and Heaven?

The point I make is that I am of an increasing opinion that the explanation is in fact something very different and that we are handed this basic fairy tale story and conditioned with it from early age, to prevent us even bothering to consider, let alone go searching for, what might be the real truth. In this way we are controlled, our minds are prepped to receive the fairy story and any spiritual experience we subsequently have just reinforces that story. We become a controlled and subservient nation who will sadly never know the real truth.

Thus people who describe their spiritual experiences with terms like God, Jesus, Heaven, Hell, Holy Spirit and so on are all doing so because of that pre-education and conditioning. The problem is not so much that the specific name "God" is being drummed into people, the problem is that people are being shoe-horned into the explanation that the spiritual experiences they have must be this "God" and all the paraphernalia that goes with it.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2015, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I agree DR, religion can lead to negative thoughts including guilt at being unable to live up to a prescribed image of what one is supposed to be and that can lead to depression.

I also agree that religion can lead to depression, ...but i aint religious, and i live by faith just God and i,no pressure to be anyone other than myself,...but must say his Love has changed me dramatically,....and no guilt either,...i just have an overwhelming desire to be a good person,...but like everyone else human,i have my moments..
oh and edit to add,very seldom do i get negative thoughts!.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2015, 04:57 AM

Good god, I'm an angler and I prefer cod
to some tribal spook, you silly old sod.
I use my rod to give christians a prod
(even more so when I've been on the grog)
for regardless of all the fine words they utter
to cop all that stuff, one must be a nutter.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2015, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Madamenotmiss ->
We say on this side of the pond the two things NEVER to talk about are religion and politics. It is hightly unlikely that either side will change their views and it only leads to bickering, abuse, hurt feelings and the whole ' I'm not talking to her ' like children are wont to say and do.

That's only at a DINNER PARTY !
Derbygal
Idaho USA
Derbygal is female  Derbygal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2015, 04:16 PM

these 'books' were not canonized that's why they are in the books called the apocrapha where they belong. Not considered genuine or they would have been in the Bible.
I know the Bible is true. I know that Jesus is the Son of God and my Saviour
that's all I care about.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2015, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Derbygal ->
these 'books' were not canonized that's why they are in the books called the apocrapha where they belong. Not considered genuine or they would have been in the Bible.
You are simply describing the process of editing and censorship by a bunch of men with an agenda.

I know the Bible is true.
No you don't. It is an account of historical events that happened over 2000 years ago. You CHOOSE to believe it is true but you can not with any degree of honestly and credibility state that you know the accounts related in the bible are true.

Out of interest what is your definition of "true" in this context? Do you take literally everything it says to be true? Or do you pick and choose which bits to call truth and which bits to ignore and sweep under the carpet?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2015, 05:02 PM

I know the Bible is true. I know that Jesus is the Son of God and my Saviour
that's all I care about.
I don't believe as you do but I every much respect your right to believe whatever you do as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. Sadly not many seem to be able to do that these days.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2015, 05:14 PM

Hey, Realist.

Those people who believe have FAITH.

Nobody can ever have a complete understanding - we are all simply human beings. Nobody understands how electricity works, but we all use it. Very few people know how a huge Jumbo jet works but we all fly in them.

Nobody can ever convince a bumble bee that he is not aerodynamic, but he somehow flies around.

Page 6 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top