Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2015, 02:53 PM

death and Immortality

Confronting our own death!

Most of us here [and I apologize to those who don’t fit into this category] must be approaching the last few decades of our life?

But one of the inconsistencies of humans is we cling to a sense of immortality. Whilst we are aware of the deaths of our contemporaries and even subscribes to the thread ‘gone but not forgotten’ how do we avoid or prepare for our own demise both emotionally and practically?

I think most of us avoid it and cling onto the inconsistency that we are immortal [and a belief in God of course assures us that in fact we are].

But leaving this earthly domain often seems hard to do. Are we really able to take time to say goodbye or do we just end so quickly we cannot do this?

The death of friends who have died sometimes comes as a surprise to us and we cannot believe or accept that they have gone and left us and gone before us.

Are we then really preparing for our own death with realism and acceptance or just ignoring it and continuing to believe that we are really immortal??
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2015, 03:33 PM

Re: death and Immortality

I am not afraid of dying at all - the fact that I believe in an afterlife, doesn't colour this thinking in the slightest. One of two things will come, either sleep for evermore or a life hereafter - either way is fine for me.
Those that pass before we do, its a case of missing them so we cling to the memories they gave us
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2015, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
Confronting our own death!

Most of us here [and I apologize to those who don’t fit into this category] must be approaching the last few decades of our life?

But one of the inconsistencies of humans is we cling to a sense of immortality. Whilst we are aware of the deaths of our contemporaries and even subscribes to the thread ‘gone but not forgotten’ how do we avoid or prepare for our own demise both emotionally and practically?

I think most of us avoid it and cling onto the inconsistency that we are immortal [and a belief in God of course assures us that in fact we are].

But leaving this earthly domain often seems hard to do. Are we really able to take time to say goodbye or do we just end so quickly we cannot do this?

The death of friends who have died sometimes comes as a surprise to us and we cannot believe or accept that they have gone and left us and gone before us.

Are we then really preparing for our own death with realism and acceptance or just ignoring it and continuing to believe that we are really immortal??
Blimey being so happy keeps you going. Decades you recon, the supreme optimist then
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2015, 04:25 PM

Im on the same wavelength as Patsy with this ..no fear of death or dying I used to worry when I was younger but now I dont let it worry me at all and I just go with the flow and what will be will be ..I have faith that all will be ok in the end and if its not ok then it isnt the end...I heard that saying on The Marigold Hotel movie and I loved it so Im keeping it lol
I believe that our loved ones that have passed ahead of us are all there and their souls are waiting to greet us again and we can all be joined again.
Ive had the priveledge to be with many people as theyve died and held their hand and comforted them..its the souls that have sudden violent deaths that I feel for but even then hopefully its fleeting as I believe the brain shuts down at a certain point.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2015, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Im on the same wavelength as Patsy with this ..no fear of death or dying I used to worry when I was younger but now I dont let it worry me at all and I just go with the flow and what will be will be ..I have faith that all will be ok in the end and if its not ok then it isnt the end...I heard that saying on The Marigold Hotel movie and I loved it so Im keeping it lol
I believe that our loved ones that have passed ahead of us are all there and their souls are waiting to greet us again and we can all be joined again.
Ive had the priveledge to be with many people as theyve died and held their hand and comforted them..its the souls that have sudden violent deaths that I feel for but even then hopefully its fleeting as I believe the brain shuts down at a certain point.

Yes I've read accounts of those that have survived horrific attacks saying it was like an out of body experience. I've had a couple of beatings and didn't feel pain until much later, probably the adrenalin - anyway, we are on the same page Aysa - I believe we will see loved ones - hope this thread doesn't deteriorate because of that belief.
Please note - its just 'our belief' Not saying it as fact
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2015, 05:43 PM

Please note - its just 'our belief' Not saying it as fact

Exactly Patsy ..just "our" beliefs
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2015, 05:48 PM

I agree with you both Aysa and Patsy, when you have seen what i have seen you have to believe your own eyes.☺
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2015, 06:08 PM

Speaking for meself I find that as you get older you become well aware that time is running out and soon you will be no more, you realise there is nothing you can do about it so you accept it with dignity. I have long accepted that fact and now the only thing that bothers me is having my loved ones upset at my passing, if there was some way of telling them that I don’t mind in the least bit passing on to wherever one passes on It would set my mind more at ease, but you dare not mention that or you’ll be accused of being morbid and depressed, actually I’m looking forward to the mother of all sleeps, no aches or pains, no worries, no one to annoy you, perfect peace for all time, I don’t find anything wrong with that after a long life, do you?
Imagine if you could never die and had to live on forever, bits falling off you, struggling to move and getting uglier by the day, Christ you’d go insane with the same thing over and over again, no thanks, things as they are are good enough for me, I had a good time here on earth but all good things come to an end, that's the way it is like it or lump it.
Red Kite
Red Kite is female 

10-10-2015, 06:22 PM

When i'm dead I'm dead and it doesn't worry me a bit. I had a near death experience once and that was/is very comforting to me.

It's dementia that worries me....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

10-10-2015, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Speaking for meself I find that as you get older you become well aware that time is running out and soon you will be no more, you realise there is nothing you can do about it so you accept it with dignity. I have long accepted that fact and now the only thing that bothers me is having my loved ones upset at my passing, if there was some way of telling them that I don’t mind in the least bit passing on to wherever one passes on It would set my mind more at ease, but you dare not mention that or you’ll be accused of being morbid and depressed, actually I’m looking forward to the mother of all sleeps, no aches or pains, no worries, no one to annoy you, perfect peace for all time, I don’t find anything wrong with that after a long life, do you?
Imagine if you could never die and had to live on forever, bits falling off you, struggling to move and getting uglier by the day, Christ you’d go insane with the same thing over and over again, no thanks, things as they are are good enough for me, I had a good time here on earth but all good things come to an end, that's the way it is like it or lump it.
Agree absolutely

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top