Join for free
Page 317 of 370 « First < 217 267 307 315 316 317 318 319 327 367 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 06:38 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

No, I didn't jump off the cruise ship!

You all are doing so well! Great advice, long runs, superb workouts.

I've been running when I can (even the ports), walking a dozen miles or more every day, hiking the Alps ...

...but it's been sinfully offset by good champagne, decadent pastas, antipasto, gelato. Oh the shame of it!

(Ok, maybe I'm not feeling...that guilty )

Will catch up on the reading, but I am still out here, having this mad love affair with Europe. It's no wonder - Day 1 of hiking:

I've been reduced to tears more than once by how beautiful this planet - along with its people/art/architecture are.

Glad you are all moving so well!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 09:20 PM

It's great to hear from you Surfermom.....
Been a bit quiet without you...... Was thinking of joining a monastery......

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 09:57 PM

Yoohoo Surfermom! Great to see you back, although I bet you wish you were still on vacation? I trust you had a fantastic time

Never feel guilty about eating too much of the 'wrong foods' on holiday. They are there to unwind and enjoy yourself. Caution to the wind.
As Bob says in Carol's "Appetite Control" current thread, he doesn't worry to much about what he eats because he can easily burn it off again. Same with you. You are always exercising (even on holiday) so you have nothing to be guilty of there.

The three of us (including Tachyon) have looked after things in here while you've been away but it's great to see you back all the same
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 11:47 PM

Glad all is well, Floydy, and when I get unpacked and back into gear, I am looking forward to talking to you about your travel plans.

I was eager to get moving this morning to fight off the jet lag, but it's been raining buckets since sunrise. Without any other choice, I hit the dreadmill for five and the bike for fifteen. Not great, but it was something, and it kept me from a tempting nap.

Having shifted my usual running to mountain hiking over the last few weeks, I was surprised at how significantly sore I was on several days. It goes to show that mixing it up is still important - and I evidently haven't been doing enough of it.

With the party being officially over , despite bing perfectly contented to be back home, getting myself back in the groove starts tomorrow. Now I just have to find a mountain or two in Florida, where the average elevation is about a meter .
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

22-08-2019, 04:19 AM

Day two, and the humidity was conservatively about 2,000%. I am fairly sure that water was condensing on my skin before I even laced my shoes.

No matter, the work had to be done and I can't tell you how good it was to be out there by myself lost in the world and my own head for an hour and some minutes. A few odd herons were gathering along the shore in hopes of a sunset dinner and though flat as a pancake, the gulf water was lapping the shore with a rhythm that was better than whatever is in the earbuds of most runners these days. I won't lie; as much as love being out there, today was hard, hard work and it too sheer will to get through five, but five it was. It's awfully good to be back in my own little corner of the world.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 11:35 AM

Nice to see you back in the saddle Surfermom....Or should I say 'Running Shoes'.....

A bit of a painful outing this morning. Since the weekend I've had some pain and stiffness in my left heel. After running ten miles on Sunday it made walking very difficult afterwards. Monday was a rest day, and although it was still grumbling on Tuesday I set off for my usual five.
Within just one mile the ache had disappeared completely and the run went well with no apparent stiffness afterwards.

I decided a couple of weeks ago that because I had become unable to touch my toes, I embarked on a series of exercises to stretch the tendon at the back of my legs, this tendon leads down into the Achilles and terminates at the heel. Due to my enthusiasm with the exercise I believe I have damaged the anchorage where it attaches to the heel....

I ran my Thursday five this morning and once again it seemed to loosen up the further I ran. It seems that because running wasn't the cause of the injury I might be able to get away with running steady for a while. My next run is due tomorrow so I'll see how it progresses between now and then....
I've gone almost two year without injury.....So....
The moral of this story is:- If it ain't broke, don't fix it.....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 02:43 PM

A very quick write-up because I’m off to see The Human League in an hour.

It's good to see Suzie enjoying a return to the running 'track' once more after her holiday. Are there any photos on the site anywhere, S?

How's the heel, Bob. Any better today bud? Take things easy for a while there mate

When I don’t train for a week due to various other commitments I generally throw in a session of high reps to get my body back into the groove of things. Today’s effort was not easy, I was very rusty but it paves the way for a continuation of my usual three-part routine which will recommence early next week.

Looking at the last time I did this session, I’ve increased the weight and added extra reps quite a lot, so the strength and stamina is still very much present, which is always pleasing. The exercises listed below were not the order I did the workout in but it’s much easier like this for writing things up.

Saturday 24th August 2019: Full body High Reps. 1hr. 25mins.
(All weights in kgs)

UPPER BODY

Lat pulldown, underarm:
22x40 +5+2

Smith shoulder press, 60° incline:
16x25 +5+2

Smith flat bench press, close grip:
20x40 +5+2

Seated row:
25x47 +5+2

Chest press:
25x40 +5+2

Tricep push down, standing:
25x35 +5+2

Bicep stack pull, standing:
22x20 +5+2

E-Z preacher curl, seated:
25x23 +5+2

High-pull bicep cable curl, single arm, alt.:
25x17 +5+2

Pec dec:
25x45 +5+2

Tricep extensions:
25x40 +5+2

Ab crunch:
50x35 +5+2

Arm curl machine, alternate:
26x20 +5+2

Fly delt dec:
25x80 +5+2

Concentration curl, alt.:
6x12 +5+2

LEGS

Incline leg press (feet low):
50x150 +5+2

Incline leg press (feet high):
40x130 +5+2

Seated ham curl:
25x40 +5+2

Sled press:
40x150 +5+2

Calf press:
25x120 +5+2

Adductor:
25x50 +5+2

Abductor:
25x50 +5+2

Extensions:
30x40 +5+2

Lying (prone) ham curl:
20x25 +5+2

Thanks for reading and enjoy your weekends all.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

24-08-2019, 03:46 PM

OGF, do you think your problem is plantar's fasciitis? You know the test - push up hard on the highest part of your arch and then squeeze your heel in different spots. If pressing the arch makes you unable to feel the pain in your heel, that's the culprit. One of the most telling symptoms is that you have heel pain that resolves as you run. I ran through PF for a months before getting it addressed. Orthotics, a painful (but worth it) cortisone shot, and a heel stretcher resolved the pain. Another admirable run for you, but go easy!

Nice job on the workout Floydy . It sounds like you are not only doing well with the weights and reps, but coming up with some balance in your life. It sounds like you have plenty to which you can look forward these days.

I am off for another run late today having driven twelve hours for my daughter's treatments (weaning now - only every 6 weeks) and shooting for a six miler at sunset. (stating intentions here so as to get it done). There is something to be said for running late in the day in which the temperatures cool and the sunset skies put on a spectacular show this time of year.

Another 15 hour drive halfway across the country tomorrow so I can go see my mom and take care of things there. All this sitting is getting to me (plains, trains, and automobiles) - but it's all worth it. The next running report will be from the breadbasket of the world...

I really will get around to all the trip photos, but for now, here is one from a wide path on which I was able to manage a rare solo run. I wish I could have just kept on going...:

Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 01:36 AM

My usual brisk walk for an hour and 25 minutes of yoga
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

25-08-2019, 12:31 PM

I've been finishing off my forty year speed graph (stand by to be amazed or at least Moderately aroused) over the last few days and mulling over some of my old running courses, so I strapped on the GPS instead of the stopwatch and decided to run one of those long forgotten routes...

Perhaps it was a bit 'half baked' considering it's only been the last twenty four hours that I've been able to walk properly with my painful heel. Nevertheless I hobbled the first half mile before the pain subsided and the run became comfortable.

The route follows my usual weekly five mile run so far, over the temporary railway bridge, across the field, through the woods and along the cycle track that brings me out onto the main road. While running across the field I had to sidestep three dubious looking characters with dogs, a shovel and a sack, I offered them a cheery good morning but received some mumbled answer so I quickened my pace and put some space between us.

The mist was still lingering in the open fields and revealing the faint outline of a rising sun, in another couple of hours the temperature is forecast to rise up to 30*C so I would prefer to be sat at home eating my porridge when it does. I made good speed for about two miles alongside the main road, the road that would be almost impossible to cross during the week, but practically deserted on a Sunday.

This is where todays route deviates from my normal run. I skipped nonchalantly across the empty road and turned down a minor road and out into the countryside. A pleasant hedge lined mile long lane took me past the giant concrete structure of a water tower, hence the name of this previously well run course; The 'Water Tower Round' and abbreviated to 'WTR' for convenience.

No pain in the heel so far as I completed this three mile loop and returned to my original route.
The mist had dissipated now and I could feel the warmth of the sun on my back, just two miles of empty lane remained and I didn't want to end up like a 'Baked Potato' so I dug in and pushed for home. With less than one mile to go I could feel the heat getting to me, legs were turning to rubber and sweat trickled down my face.

Suddenly plantar became the least of my worries as my temperature soared, but I had turned into my street and with just a hundred yards to go I gritted my teeth and tried not to look like a foolish 69 year old knackered jogger, the deception worked as I uttered a couple of good mornings to my neighbours and collapsed in peace in the shelter of my own drive.

Page 317 of 370 « First < 217 267 307 315 316 317 318 319 327 367 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top