Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 05:30 PM

Wildlife in your garden

do you have any beasties come into your garden?

i have a bird table and like to feed the birds.
A couple of squirrels have decided to muscle in...cheeky scamps ..thpugh they're a laugh to watch.

Last year..no idea where it came from but a pheasant was a daily visitor for a while.

but my favourite used to a fox that came every night ...he or she has stopped coming lately though I don't know why.

does anyone else here put out bird food.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 05:48 PM

Re: Wildlife in your garden

Oh yes, Morticia! Huge bird fan here and feeder, although not so much feeding right at the moment as we have loads of fruit and insects that I do hope the birds are helping with. We love our garden birds and have friendly robin and Mrs Blackbird - although I must also admit that since having our newest little cat, who is a supreme hunter, I do not encourage the blackbirds to come in the back door!

As to other wildlife again I must admit to mice, voles, shrews brought in by KIzzy. If I catch the little creature in time, I do save it to fight another day, but I am not always quick enough.

We have had hedgehogs in the past - and (this is getting to be a litany of ex-wildlife) one committed suicide in my husband's wellington boot. Very sad. Love hedgehogs. Haven't seen any frogs this year - and only saw an adder once.

Currently enjoying many beautiful butterflies!
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 05:51 PM

We have an extended family of collar-doves who gather on the whirligig and glare if the birdfood is late arriving!
The dogs keep them safe from the neighbourhood cats.
MrsH
Hampshire, UK
MrsH is female  MrsH has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 05:55 PM

We feed lots of birds in both the front and back garden and get a good variety of customers. One of our favourites is the nuthatch who only seems to like the back garden, and we also get flocks of long-tailed tits quite often.

We haven't had hedgehogs for years now, such a shame as we've got plenty of slugs for them to eat, wish they'd come back!
Anne
UK
Anne is female  Anne has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 06:25 PM

We've had loads of birds this year. We had blue tits in or box but sadly a cat got to the mother we think and the dad never came back to feed them so we hand reared them and took them to a wild life centre to be released.

This is them when they were first orphaned and the day after we decided to help them.

and this is about a week later before they went for release

We also have a hedgehog under the shed, there was 3 babies too but havn't seen them about for a while.

and last but not least my favourite 'Pidge' who stuck around a couple of months, a racer who lost his way we reckon. He would tap on the kitchen door window in the morning for his breakfast and then sit in the gutter all day. When when the dogs went inside at night time he would come down to see me.

This is him running to see me

MrsH
Hampshire, UK
MrsH is female  MrsH has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 06:33 PM

Beautiful photos! and well done for helping to raise those baby blue-tits!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 06:51 PM

Well done Anne! Nice pics

One year I heard a howling noise in the garden!! Rocky was a pup and was indoors. Went outside and there was a huge Staffy in there! Saw me and he came running towards me so I ran indoors! well he did look big! Anyway I went back out and he was friendly as anything, so I let him back out to the river area as I guessed his owner was on the other side and he seemed to know where he was going.

Other than that, plenty of cats (mad or what) and spiders!
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 06:52 PM

Lovely to see them ready to fledge Anne, well done, you have done a brilliant job with them........!
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Well done Anne! Nice pics

One year I heard a howling noise in the garden!! Rocky was a pup and was indoors. Went outside and there was a huge Staffy in there! Saw me and he came running towards me so I ran indoors! well he did look big! Anyway I went back out and he was friendly as anything, so I let him back out to the river area as I guessed his owner was on the other side and he seemed to know where he was going.

Other than that, plenty of cats (mad or what) and spiders!
Sorry Az, but thought that so funny, you have a huge dog, and ran from a staff!!
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 08:51 PM

Well done Anne helping those blue tits. Lucky you spotted that their parents had not returned to the nest.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top