Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 02:30 AM

Re: Wildlife in your garden

Have had a bird feeder for years; plagued by hordes of horrible grey squirrels eating seed and destroying feeders, digging up bulbs and plants, stealing my tomatoes chewing holes in the soffit boards to get on the porch, etc! Other than that, have had raccoons, opossums, the stray chipmunk and a fox once. And, not exactly IN my yard, but two young deer just up the block during rutting season...and no camera with me to record it...
I'm only a block and a half from the woods. Not as many butterflies as there used to be, and only the commonest ones.
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 04:15 PM

I miss the birds in my garden but there are so many magpies round here they have killed all the smaller birds.
Today though I have had to keep me and dogs shut indoors as the garden is full of wildlife, namely wasps
I am terrified of the things and my dogs want to chase and catch them and I am terrified they will get stung.
I got rid of every flower I had a few years ago to try and stop bees and wasps coming in my garden as they really scare me.
I hate August and September as the wasps are out to get you and I darn't go outside without my trusty can of wasp killer in my hands.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 04:20 PM

There are LOADS of the b*****s about this year. I hate them too - am allergic.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 04:54 PM

I hate wasps too and am allergic also. It used to be a nightmare here: the people across the alley had an apple tree that they didn't spray so the fruit was inedible and they just let it fall and rot. And hundreds of wasps came to feed on the decaying fruit .... I hardly could go out in the garden. Fortunately when the house was sold the new owners cut down the tree ..... I miss the lovely flowers in the Spring, but not the wasps.....
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2009, 10:00 PM

Have all the usual birds visit my garden-blackbirds, doves,sparrows, starlings but the other day a sparrow hawk decided to visit. Flew into my hedge and came out with a little sparrow and then decided to land in my garden I went out but soon came back in-the hawk looked straight at me spread its wings like it was going to attackApparently female hawks will attack if you approach when they have their prey. Then there are the usual snails and slugs yuk-but what I dread most are when the moths and daddy longlegs appear-am petrified of them.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2009, 12:00 AM

We have a real mixture of bird who I feed daily including a beautiful wood pecker...
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

12-08-2009, 02:28 AM

Moli, is the woodpecker at home or in Houston? And is your mockingbird still coming?
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2009, 08:56 AM

Can I ask how you bird-feeders cope with the problem of rats? Seems I can't feed the feathered chaps without getting a bare-tailed furry around too - nasty!
Nippy
South Devon
Nippy is female  Nippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2009, 10:14 AM

We feed the birds and have regular visits from Blackbirds, sparrows, Black Caps, Wood pigeons, Robins, Great Tits and Blue tits as well as the dreaded Seagulls (our equivelant of rats)
Any vermin is kept at bay by Mo the dog.
Anne those are great pictures of your Blue tits.
For the first time our Sparrow box was put to good use this year.

We have a Hedgehog under our shed too.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Moli, is the woodpecker at home or in Houston? And is your mockingbird still coming?
The woodpecker is at home Eileen, and yes Mr M Bird is still coming for his raisins...I am sure its the same one, must have good memorys its 5 months since I was here last

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top