Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 09:40 AM

Re: Peace & Quiet

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I'm back!!! what's been happening in my absence??? Have you all behaved yourselves???
It appears that at least MOST of us have And have you?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 11:00 AM

Yes everyone - I had a magnificent time in Belfast - re-visited a pub I knew previously and found a couple more Pub/Restaurants that will require further investigation on my next visit. I ate and drank very well and was 'royally' entertained by 'our' Jean.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 11:29 AM

Glad you had a good holiday..

I must confess that I never liked my time in N.Ireland and any subsequent visits did nothing to change that. I have no plans to ever see it again - too many bad vibes.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Glad you had a good holiday..

I must confess that I never liked my time in N.Ireland and any subsequent visits did nothing to change that. I have no plans to ever see it again - too many bad vibes.

George matey, I think you'll find a big difference in comparison with your previous time there - Belfast is a vibrant city and whilst the sectarian 'troubles' haven't entirely disappeared, they are very substantially diminished and its 'safe' to be out and about in the centre of the city at night.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 01:51 PM

Welcome back Geoff, I'm delighted you had a good time, missed you old friend.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 01:58 PM

The last time I landed at 'George Best' airport (actually, I think it was called Belfast City then, and I think it was the Short Bros. airfield before that), the pilot announced, " We are about to land at Belfast city airport. Please put your watches back 50 years".

Actually, that was a joke told by a local. They did have a sense of humour - they needed it! I remember one slogan painted on a wall. It read "no Pope here" and underneath someone had added "lucky pope".

No, I was always aware of the deeply rooted beliefs, suspicions and mistrust between communities. Not to mention the influence of the church (not unlike what I experienced in the Western Isles years later)
and of course, the fear and loathing by all sides of the armed paramilitary 'police' .

Sorry - too many bad memories. As a church minister once told me "there's nothing wrong with the country - it's only the people that spoil it". True, it is a beautiful country. Or as Merlin Rees, when he was the N.I. secretary allegedly said on the plane after his first visit to Belfast, "What a bloody awful country. Give me a double whisky".

I'll drink to that.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top