Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 01:13 PM

Crickets and other useful tools.

Did you know that to figure the outdoor temperature in Faheinheit... you simply count the number of chirps a cricket makes in 15 seconds.... and add 37? I remembered this this morning as I left the house and heard a cricket chirping..

So I was wondering what other useful ways of using the world around us do people have to predict or determine things. I guess I'm talking about Old Wive's Tales.. What stuff do YOU know..
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 01:46 PM

Re: Crickets and other useful tools.

On this side of the world .... moss will grow more on the north side of a rock or tree giving you an idea of direction if your lost in the woods or mountains ...I guess its the other side for our Aussie friends ?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 01:47 PM

If a pine cone is open, the weather is going to be fine; if it starts to close or is closed, rain is on the way.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
On this side of the world .... moss will grow more on the north side of a rock or tree giving you an idea of direction if your lost in the woods or mountains ...I guess its the other side for our Aussie friends ?
I'd forgotten about that - and I used to teach it to our Scouts!
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2013, 02:10 PM

Back to the supernatural..... If a black crow sits outside your home.. it is an indication that you will hear of a death.
AudreyII
USA

19-09-2013, 02:11 PM

You can tell how far a thunderstorm is if you count the seconds betwee seeing the lightening and hearing the thunder.. In miles.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

19-09-2013, 02:11 PM

If you see one lone magpie - well, you might just as well give up on everything really
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

19-09-2013, 02:12 PM

If your left palm itches, you are going to receive money and if the right palm itches, you will lose money (it might be the other way around though ... )
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

19-09-2013, 02:13 PM

A piece of stray cotton on your clothes means you are going to receive a letter.
AudreyII
USA

19-09-2013, 02:24 PM

If you drop a knife it means you will have company. You can tell which direction they are coming from by which way the blade is pointing.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top