Join for free
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 01:10 PM

Honesty Pays

Seems a homeless guy returned a bag which contained a lot of money ($42,000) and is now in line to receive close to £70,000 in donations.

Honesty pays off for homeless Boston man
(BBC News Link)

I returned £10 to a girl in the offy this week as she gave me £16.99 out of £20 when the bottle of whisky I bought cost £13.99, £10 too much change. I a good boy I am .

Would you do the above?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 02:19 PM

Re: Honesty Pays

Some years ago I handed to a bus driver a purse I had found on the bus and it contained about £300. I never received any acknowledgement from the owner and I often wondered if the driver had pocketed it himself.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 02:31 PM

If a person in a shop or in a pub gave me too much change I would definitely give it back, I think most folks are honest that way, however I did receive an overpayment from an insurance company a long time ago and the hassle I had trying to convince them they made a mistake was unbelievable, no way could they make a mistake, in the end I gave up and pocketed the 'Mistake', never heard a word about it since.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Yes, I always give any overpayment back no matter where it came from. I remember once picking up a £1 coin I saw on the ground - the quandy that put me in: couldn't keep it because it wasn't mine and couldn't take it to the police station as they'd laugh their heads off. I kept thinking it might belong to a child (part of dinner money or bus fare maybe) so I put it on the garden wall and left it there!

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Some years ago I handed to a bus driver a purse I had found on the bus and it contained about £300. I never received any acknowledgement from the owner and I often wondered if the driver had pocketed it himself.
My son once lost his wallet (when he was 15/16) and it had all his money in that he'd earned from odd jobs he'd been doing for people and, thankfully, the wallet was handed into the police. We wanted to write a thank you to the person who handed it in but the police wouldn't tell us who it was but said they would pass on our thanks - I suppose it depends on if they bother or not.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 10:46 PM

Uncle Vivian’s STOOP.
Honesty was not exactly the corner stone of my Uncle Vivian’s personality, although I should explain that he wasn’t dishonest, he wouldn’t take advantage of the poor, the sick ,homeless or needy.
His life changed as a teenager when he picked up a single half crown (that’s 12 ½ pence) that he had discovered in a crack in one of the granite pavement edging blocks. It looked as if it had been there quite a time.
Well, in fairness , would you have picked it up? Or left it.

There was an unhappy problem developed from the half crown incident. Poor uncle hoped his find was not a one off & for quite awhile Uncle Vivian walked everywhere looking down for other coins. Pretty soon he began to stoop & as a growing lad his bones were still supple, but as he grew into manhood his bones hardened and the stoop set for ever.

Gone were the days when he was able to look up into the air in the high street in the certain hope that others would copy him & cause a gridlocked high street as the crowd gathered, spilling out into the road, all the while gazing up , at nothing.
Then one day he had a “Damascus road “ experience, more about that later.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 11:21 PM

I like to think I'm an honest sort of person. I think a good rule of thumb is, don't do to anyone what you wouldn't like done to you.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 02:56 AM

I have been under-charged at my local shop and told them it was wrong, so they started again by zeroing the till computer and re-scanning. I'd been under-charged by £5.99
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Uncle Vivian’s STOOP.
Honesty was not exactly the corner stone of my Uncle Vivian’s personality, although I should explain that he wasn’t dishonest, he wouldn’t take advantage of the poor, the sick ,homeless or needy.
His life changed as a teenager when he picked up a single half crown (that’s 12 ½ pence) that he had discovered in a crack in one of the granite pavement edging blocks. It looked as if it had been there quite a time.
Well, in fairness , would you have picked it up? Or left it.

There was an unhappy problem developed from the half crown incident. Poor uncle hoped his find was not a one off & for quite awhile Uncle Vivian walked everywhere looking down for other coins. Pretty soon he began to stoop & as a growing lad his bones were still supple, but as he grew into manhood his bones hardened and the stoop set for ever.

Gone were the days when he was able to look up into the air in the high street in the certain hope that others would copy him & cause a gridlocked high street as the crowd gathered, spilling out into the road, all the while gazing up , at nothing.
Then one day he had a “Damascus road “ experience, more about that later.
I read with great interest how your Uncle Vivian succumbed to temptation as a youth Robert, half a dollar was not to be sneezed at in those days, quite a handsome sum of money for a young man to twirl in his trouser pocket, five visits to a cinema or two nights heavy drinking, if he had a sweet tooth he could have a 4 stone bag of Bulls Eyes or a sack of Peggys Legs to munch, all that could be purchased for half a crown then, not to mention a packet of Woodbines thrown in.
I can only hope and pray he is steered back to the path of righteousness on the road to damascus and doesn't fall foul of any evil dictators.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 04:32 PM

JEM Hi.

Uncle Vivian's Damascus road experience changed everything & as soon as I can recall exactly what he told me you will be the first to know..
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

23-09-2013, 01:24 PM

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top