Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 10:15 PM

Re: In 2008

I am going to start up a dial up Offie, I suspect I will make a mint.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 10:26 PM

We've got a brilliant independent butcher which has just opened up near us, but there is no way we would be able to afford to buy our meat from them - just far too expensive!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2013, 11:46 PM

I am sure independent butchers here are declining and the days of buying half a lamb for $10 have gone but in the local shopping mall a butcher is set up opposite one of the big supermarket chains and does very well. Next to him is a fishmonger selling the local and imported catch.

Both of them have prices that are very competitive with the supermarket and the quality is much higher so it can be done. Supermarkets are very inflexible hence their niche
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 07:29 AM

Meat brought in a supermarket can be a false saving as its normally cheap cuts and pumped full of water and other chemicals , so as soon as you cook it , it shrinks to half the size, plus coloured so as not to show how old it is. Meat from the butcher will go much further and taste better.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
Meat brought in a supermarket can be a false saving as its normally cheap cuts and pumped full of water and other chemicals , so as soon as you cook it , it shrinks to half the size, plus coloured so as not to show how old it is. Meat from the butcher will go much further and taste better.
I agree Baggy, but people are seem to be missing a bid point, in 5 years we have lost 24,000 independent butchers.
I suppose some were natural losses, and some may have been after the horse meat scandal, but a damn lot of them were just not supported.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2013, 07:46 AM

I would of thought it would of gone the other way after the Horse meat as it was the super markets buying the cheap meat that started that . Were there any independant butchers caught as well ? I dont know.
Yes I agree many people dont support some local butchers, Here I get my meat straight from the hunters or rabbit and chicken from a local man who breeds them . But in Cornwall we have a wonderful butcher we use and never buy meat from super markets as it taste terrible, but he is more expensive, but Id rather have less meat and eat veggie options than buy rubbish.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top