Join for free
Funky Farmer
Bedfordshire, UK
Funky Farmer is male  Funky Farmer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 12:26 PM

January

I am pleased to say the Fieldfares have arrived with the snow. I was worried that I would have to pick up tons of windfall apples in my small orchard. I shouldn't have worried,the problem is well on the way to being resolved. There are at least 100 of these beautiful birds getting tipsy as I type.

Anyway, back to what I was going to say, in the first place.

January usually has some sparkling days, in which to get on with things but the weather at this time of year can prevent the gardener from doing very much, keep off wet soil, you can do more damage than good working wet soil.

Get in the greenhouse and clean it and any pots, trays etc. I still use jeyes fluid for mine.

Its a good time to do any last minute planning , look through books and catalogues.

Its a good time to think about wild life especially birds, we can put out food at this time of year and don't forget they need fresh water on those frosty days.

Get that mower in for service as soon as you can, don't leave it to late, your lawn may need an early cut.

Happy new year and happy gardening
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 12:42 PM

Re: January

Is 'Fieldfare' the proper name for these birds ? I've never come across it before. We have a small orchard but most birds around here go South in the winter.
Funky Farmer
Bedfordshire, UK
Funky Farmer is male  Funky Farmer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Is 'Fieldfare' the proper name for these birds ? I've never come across it before. We have a small orchard but most birds around here go South in the winter.
Yes it is there proper name. I'm surprised you don't get them as they are a common visitor from Scandinavia.

"The Fieldfare is a large thrush - just a little smaller than the Mistle Thrush - with very bold plumage. They are winter visitors from Scandinavia.

Adult male and female Fieldfares are similar in appearance, except that the female is generally duller and browner.

The male has blue-grey crown, nape, and rump; chestnut brown back; black tail; and a buff breast with black streaks that also extends to the flanks. The underwing, especially the "armpit", is white, and it is this and the pale grey rump that are most noticeable when in flight.

The juveniles lack the grey head and are duller."

Nicked from the RSPB website
LynX
Cornwall
LynX is female  LynX has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 01:32 PM

What a lovely picture.
Also very interesting to know the proper name for what I have always called a Thrush. I don't know an awful lot about birds except that I love them. We have a wealth of different ones around here being on the edge of National Trust land which is farmed very sympathetically thus the profusion of so many different ones.
We put loads of food out for them and are well rewarded. we have a Jay family vist regularly as well as many birds I try to indentify using a book. I'm getting there but wish they would stay still for longer.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 01:39 PM

I was going to say that the Fieldfare looked very similar to the thrush, I've never heard the name Fieldfare either. It's a beautiful picture of it though.

I hope we will be getting monthly gardening tips from you FF, they would be so useful to some of us novices

A very Happy New Year to you too!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2009, 01:27 PM

At the end of November did plant my onion and leek seeds in the cold frame, but the second week in Jan I start off my tomatoes, Red peppers, sprouts, and cauilflower.

Will also try some lettuce hoping for a mild spring.

They do say that garlic should be planted outside on the 23 of DEC the darkest day.
Funky Farmer
Bedfordshire, UK

22-12-2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
At the end of November did plant my onion and leek seeds in the cold frame, but the second week in Jan I start off my tomatoes, Red peppers, sprouts, and cauilflower.

Will also try some lettuce hoping for a mild spring.

They do say that garlic should be planted outside on the 23 of DEC the darkest day.
I have had my garlic in since the beginning of November.Along with Japanese onions, shallots and broad beans. They were all doing OK but can't be sure now as I can't see any of them!

At least my garden looks as good as everybody else's now

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top