Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2009, 02:35 PM

Strange Plant - can you help identify?

(NB. Same as posted on Catsey today!)

I asked my gardener this morning to get rid of this vine which was becoming invasive. I thought it was an ordinary sort of gourd perhaps but it had the most amazing tuberous root. The photo of it only shows about half as he couldn't get the rest of it out of the ground!!! It was growing in dry soil in shade, but we found another plant growing around the roses in the front of the house which is also in dry soil, but in direct sun. We also found another young plant growing amongst ferns by the pond, also dry and shady. That one had a tap root like a parsnip and we got it all out. Does anyone have any idea what it is?

Leaf & tendril

Tuber (part of)

Part of plant

Flower (sorry, not as sharp a photo as I'd like. It has 5 petals and is creamy white with green stripes.)

dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2009, 02:52 PM

Re: Strange Plant - can you help identify?

I know my tentative suggestion of something from the Castor Oil family (on Catsey) wasn't any good.
Does this website help? It says online identification but you'll need to fill in the details
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2009, 04:16 PM

Is it evergreen Angie???
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2009, 04:21 PM

Not absolutely sure Moli, but I don't think so.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2009, 09:43 PM

Hope someone here can identify it; I've had no luck so far.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2009, 09:48 PM

Like you Eileen be googling for ages, it will drive me mad till I find out what it is!!
angieh
Hampshire, UK

13-08-2009, 10:13 PM

You are good to try and help. I'm going to send my photos to RHS tomorrow and see what they can come up with. Hope the photos are good enough.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2009, 03:16 PM

Have you felt up to sending these off to the RHS angie?
If so, any idea how long it might take them?
angieh
Hampshire, UK

14-08-2009, 03:35 PM

I haven't done so yet DM but I have been Googling to no further effect!

Edit to say: On the RHS Advisory website it says that they are generally able to respond within 3 - 10 days!
Moli
Aberdeenshire

14-08-2009, 03:43 PM

That bloomin' plant is driving me daft!!!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top