Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2010, 12:42 AM

When do you cover your rhubarb ?

I planted some rhubarb last spring and it grew very well though I didn't pick any the first year to give the crown chance to grow.

It is an early variety ( Timperley Early ) and I was wondering when to cover it to get early forced stems. I read I can cover it in January to pick in February but this seems very early particularly if the weather is cold.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2010, 12:02 PM

Re: When do you cover your rhubarb ?

As soon as the Crowns start showing.

A lot of Gardeners dont force as they say the taste is not as good.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2010, 12:28 PM

I don't cover mine until it is on the plate then I usually use custard.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2010, 12:37 PM

My Dad always covered his as soon as the crown appeared.

I love forced rhubarb and think the taste is far sweeter than than unforced which tends to be very sour.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
As soon as the Crowns start showing.

A lot of Gardeners dont force as they say the taste is not as good.
No crown yet , I keep going to inspect it daily ...

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
I don't cover mine until it is on the plate then I usually use custard.
..a man after my own heart particularly if there is some orange crumble too

Originally Posted by Mags ->
My Dad always covered his as soon as the crown appeared.

I love forced rhubarb and think the taste is far sweeter than than unforced which tends to be very sour.
..I like forced rhubarb too. It arrives at a time when there is little else availible in the way of 'fresh' fruit and it's always very expensive in the shops (and I had about 40lb of damsons in the freezer many of which I have eaten , it will be nice to have a change ).
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2010, 01:38 PM

I don`t grow rhubarb any more. Not with 4 dogs. Nobody will eat it
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
I don`t grow rhubarb any more. Not with 4 dogs. Nobody will eat it

I agree with the previous suggestions for forcing. It's best to have 2 sections/crowns (if you've room) and force one section for early joy whilst leaving the other to grow naturally
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->

I agree with the previous suggestions for forcing. It's best to have 2 sections/crowns (if you've room) and force one section for early joy whilst leaving the other to grow naturally
Good advice.

I planted a crown down the lottie and thought I needed a couple of years to let it establish. You think I would know better living in the rhubarb triangle
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

04-01-2010, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->

I only have room for one crown DM (which is really enough for one small person, it was huge last year, I could have lived under it ). I hope to force a little bit then leave the rest to grow taking just a few stems at a time.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2010, 02:57 PM

Rhubarb is like us all-it needs time to establish.

As for forcing the last thing you wany to do is protect it in weather like this-it seems that it wants cold weather to respond to forcing-March would be soon enough

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top