Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2009, 07:06 PM

Re: Slug prevention/fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Meg I wish you luck in your war on slugs. When we moved to this part of Czechland in 2005 we had none, but in the last two years the slug population has increased by millions, now we just can't get rid of them

How many do you get in your nightly patrols ? Some nights I've got 50 or more in my bucket.

Apparently salt is quite good but you will need a lot to protect those purple brocoli.
Hi Losos I started collecting slugs about a month ago and began by collected about half a bucket of slugs per night, the number has gradually diminished.
Last night although it had been raining I could only find two of the big slugs of the kind I usually find but there were lots of tiny white ones I don't normally see.

The plastic bottle defences are working well but I did find one tiny white slug within a bottle, it must have crept up through the soil at the bottom.

I also found two full grown caterpillars on the broccoli , I am sure they didn't hatch there and must have crept in through the netting
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 02:37 PM

I tried nemaslug this autumn on my allotment and will try it again in the spring. I think it made a slight difference and maybe after a couple of sprays it will decrease the population.

Here's hoping!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by PPHammer ->
I tried nemaslug this autumn on my allotment and will try it again in the spring. I think it made a slight difference and maybe after a couple of sprays it will decrease the population.

Here's hoping!
Hi PP just looked up nemaslug and is quite expensive, only works for six weeks and isn't so effective on clay soil.

Happy to report my plastic bottles with a frill on top are working very well and cost nothing I have put little circles of black ground cover fabric in the bottom to stop the slugs creeping up the plants from the bottom.

I now have a lovely slug free crop of purple sprouting broccoli ready to cut in the spring
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 05:18 PM

Salt is really good as long as it don't rain.

On a lighter note, . . I'd like to throw a ton of it in the house of commons, . . . it's crawling with slugs in there.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi PP just looked up nemaslug and is quite expensive, only works for six weeks and isn't so effective on clay soil.

Happy to report my plastic bottles with a frill on top are working very well and cost nothing I have put little circles of black ground cover fabric in the bottom to stop the slugs creeping up the plants from the bottom.

I now have a lovely slug free crop of purple sprouting broccoli ready to cut in the spring
You are right, it is a bit expensive. My older brother says if you feed the dead slugs to your hens, the nematodes are recycled through their dropings which if you use as fertiliser sets up a cycle of more slug killers in the soil. I don't know how true this is and I guess it is dependent on you having hens.

I will probably go with your idea though, as I wanted my allotment to be 'money light' ie not spending on anything I don't need to.

Thanks for the advice

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top