Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2009, 09:44 PM

Acers

I have 2 Acers one upright Acer Palmatum auterperpurium which is planted in the ground and is about 7ft high and doing fine and another weeping one Acer Palmatum auterperporium disectum which is in a pot and it seems to be suffering a little this year there is quite a lot of dyeback on it ... It is about 10 years old and it isn't potbound any ideas as I don't want to lose it...
Sue
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2009, 09:25 AM

Re: Acers

I think they are very sensitive to wind. Is it in a draughty spot? Do you think relocating the pot might help? Or maybe just changing the compost but keeping the same pot?

I'm not an expert - I hope someone can offer you more definite help
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2009, 11:48 AM

Has it become waterlogged at all? Sorry not to be able to give better advise. Have you tried searching online for helpful hints? I just had a quick Google and there seems to be several gardening forums with similar questions and answers.

I transplanted an Acer from pot to ground several years ago and I have to say it has done so much better in the ground.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2009, 02:33 PM

I have an acer growing in a large pot which is stood on wheels as it's so heavy. In the Spring I always move it to a sheltered spot where it is protected from too much sun which would 'burn' its delicate leaves and it's also sheltered from strong winds which can damage it. I also top-dress it with ericacious compost occasionally.

During the winter months I cover the tree and the pot in a horticultural fleece jacket for extra protection ........ it may not be necessary for that but I don't want to take the risk of losing it..
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2009, 07:37 PM

It isn't in a windy spot and it's been there since we had it... Waterlogging is a possibility owing to the weather of late ... We do top dress with eriacacious compost every spring it was transplanted 2 years ago into it's present pot and then it wasn't anyway near out growing the last pot we also give it a light watering of plant food twice a season ...Angieh the other one we have (an upright) we transplanted into the ground and that is going great guns but this a weeping one and is longer than it's height we would have to trim a load off it which would be a shame... I also have looked at various gardening forums and not much advice on these also googled Acers ...
Thanks all who answered though and lets hope it will survive ...
Oh one more thing we have had a problem with vine weevils we have watered on pravado do you think this may be the cause but I didn't think they liked woody roots more fiberous ones the little blighters ate a Hydranga off at ground level awful critters they are...
Sue
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2009, 08:44 PM

I have one in a pot and top dress it every spring, it spends the winter in the greenhouse though....Mind did get blasted by the wind a while back, and had some damage to its leaves,but seems to have recovered..........
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2009, 04:41 PM

I am not sure whether vine weevils (evil things) attack Acers or not .........

I understand what you mean about the weeping Acer looking better in a pot because of the weeping habit and I'm just wondering whether there is a way around planting it in the ground, but also raising it up - sort of like a ring culture. I'll see if I can find an illustration, as I am sure I've not even begun to explain what I mean!!!!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2009, 07:53 PM

Like a circular raised bed? Maybe edged with those 'half log' affairs?
suey
Shropshire

22-08-2009, 08:10 PM

This was my back garden but we have just had the conifers taken out and a new fence put around so at the moment still looks like a building site the Acer in question is the one nearest but it is quite a lot larger now and reaches the ground and is about 5ft across as we are quite flat at the back I don't really want to build a raised bed as we are having large rose bushes along the fence on the right hand side of the garden as roses are our passion I don't like log roll so to build up something with these is a definate no I am thinking of getting a high pot but a narrow one about 3ft tall in a black metal effect or pewter and repotting it again but we can put lots of stones in the bottom for drainage and balast ... Fingers crossed heh...
Sue
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2009, 10:57 PM

Beautiful garden Suey, so neat....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top