Join for free
suki
hertfordshire uk
suki is female  suki has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2010, 04:15 PM

Virgin

My apologies I have'nt been on here for quite some
time, but have been very busy with my dog and
competing, just wanted to know if anyone on here
is with Virgin for Broadband, TV and Phone?, I
will be joining them from the 24 of this month,
with BT at the moment, but only having 1.1 mbs
is annoying, so will be getting at least 9mbs,
also looking forward to watching tv in HD.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2010, 04:26 PM

Re: Virgin

Yes I am. But I have freeview TV (doesn`t cost anything) as I don`t watch much. TBH most stuff I can catch up with on the PC anyway.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2010, 08:47 PM

I moved to them one day and came off it again the same day! Went back to BT and Sky - Virgin conned me into taking their full package, quoting a figure that was much cheaper than I was paying for my phone to BT and broadband and tv with Sky. I want the fastest broadband speed they were offering and promised by the salesman that I would get that. When it was all installed I tried the broadband and far from the fastest speed, I was on their lowest speed! When I phoned them up about it, I was told the package I had taken out didn't come with the fastest speed - so I told them to disconnect me and I went back to my previous suppliers! Cost me money into the bargain!! I would never go back to Virgin!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2010, 01:58 AM

Used to have their broadband - started off good then went downhill! But that was from a BT line.

If you are getting cable it 'should' be a lot better
suki
hertfordshire uk
suki is female  suki has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2010, 07:36 AM

Yes I will be on cable,but still want to keep connected
to freeview in case of problems, have been told
that is not a problem, I am getting their
lowest pacakge with the exception of calls,
I've asked for anytme calls, so a bit more expensive,
but really looking forward to watching HD programmes,
and watching films when I like.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2010, 02:31 PM

The title made my mind run riot.

I once tried to sign up with Virgin but they wanted to get me to sign for things that I did not want, I think they were more interested in the commision.
I finished up staying with BT and I must say that they have never let me down.
When I got withdrawl symptoms from the internet going down they checked out everything in my home, found nothing wrong so they then checked the line from the exchange and found 9 faults in it.
They repaired them and I have great broadband speed for our area.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2010, 06:40 AM

A Virgin Media package here (I feel I have to write the company name fully ). I have...

* V+ digital box that gives HD TV and allows me to record 2 channels while watching a 3rd.
* 2nd digital box.

Both of these can receive the XL TV stations, all 160 of them. Correct to say that this is a lot but I find it good to have the wide choice of stations.

Also..

* 20MB broadband connection.
* All UK telephone calls included in the price.

I've had trouble from time to time but it has always been sorted out in the end. I think that although anyone might say they have had no trouble with their company, it's always possible to find someone who has. I believe any company will always have their percentage of dissatisfied customers ..and those are the ones we mostly hear about. The very much larger percentage of satisfied customers don't come onto forums (or write elsewhere) and say so, Well, not unless asked anyway.

Freeview can be received around here and we do watch it when we can't be bothered to switch one of the Virgin Media digital boxes on. However, the signal isn't good and the picture and sound break up from time to time.

We also have one TV on Freesat (as distinct from FreeSky). So we actually have 3 different signal sources in our house, all of which are used at different times.

If I were to go to using the telephone line for broadband, I'd only get a maximum connection speed of 2MB at this address, no matter who the ISP is. This is because of the distance we live from the telephone exchange. No contest with cable. Fibre-optic cable is a better technology than copper wires. It can give good speeds over a greater area with hardly any signal loss.

I think it depends on where you live as to what is best but around here, I consider cable is best and I'm satisfied with the service.
suki
hertfordshire uk

20-08-2010, 08:07 PM

What was involved in installation?, I
can't move furniture around, nor can I
move my aquarium, the salesman has
assured me that I don't have to move anything,
but my computer is upstairs not in the same
room as the TV or phone, so was wondering if
anyone could tell me what is involved.
The salesman is calling Monday to go over
it with me and if I'm still not happy, no
installation will take place on Tuesday.
This is all I'm worried about, did'nt give it a thought
as to how I will be connected, so if anyone can help
I would be grateful.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2010, 09:49 PM

We used to have Virgin and I was completly satisfied with it ..OH listened to a salesman and hey ho we changed to Sky ..TV and phone good but internet rubbish it keeps losing signal ...When our Virgin internet was put in I too have the computer upstairs and they put a junction box on the wall outside and just connected it up to the computer very little fuss or bother so I am sure you will find the installation will go really smoothly...Enjoy...Also if you have any problems it is so easy with Virgin just phone 150 and you are through with Sky it is a call centre in the heart of India I think and people you can't understand....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2010, 06:45 AM

What might worry us regarding possible installation problems are encountered every day by the installers. They just seem to overcome any obstacles with very little trouble. I was once let down on an appointment to move the cable after some building work had been done but once they did get here, the job was done quickly and efficiently. This was despite some things I saw as potential problems.

I can't say I'm all that happy with Virgin Media call centres. They are based in India too. It depends on your luck as to how well the person at the other end of the phone speaks English. But still, that's not to say they don't know their job and one way or another, problems get sorted out.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top