Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2010, 02:41 PM

Anyone for SAT NAV's?

Love 'em or Loathe 'em???

I like mine, but find I need to look at a map first, to get a basic idea of my journey! As sometimes the Sat Nat is determined to take me via a motorway, and at least I will be aware of an alternative, so eventually the Sat Nav stops saying: "At your earliest convenience make a U-Turn"!!!!!

Love 'em when you are somewhere lost in the Universe and can just press 'HOME'!

Regards, Rainbow
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2010, 03:10 PM

Re: Anyone for SAT NAV's?

All roads lead to Rome they say-this is why I prefer a map rather than a sat Nav.

I always ask a taxi driver if they know the route-going from our local railway station to home via Rome using a sat nav can get a bit pricey
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2010, 03:11 PM

I loved mine when I am walking the fells. It told me exactly where I was, it did'nt tell me how to get home but I know where I was.

I got on my nerves when I was driving with all of the speed camera's that it kept telling me about.
It kept saying 'Do a u-turn when possible' as it only knows the way it wants to go, it does not know the short cuts.

Now it is explaining to the bench, shelves, tools etc. how to get out of my garage.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2010, 03:21 PM

Now it is explaining to the bench, shelves, tools etc

I must rush off and patent that. Some drop dead sexy female voice reminding one to keep one`s tools clean and sharp. And my dibber hasn`t been rubbed for ages
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2010, 03:24 PM

From inside the garage .... a little computer voice; "Move forward with caution" !!

I always prefer scenic views - Rome via Guildford, sounds splendid! (especially as it is over-cast here at present)!

Very scary, when you have been travelling for a period of time in silence, and suddenly it pipes up with some information, completely unexpected ...... YIKES!!!!

Rainbow
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2010, 03:38 PM

I always look on google earth first and sometimes just get it to give me directions and print them out and just follow them.
Rainbow
Surrey UK

27-08-2010, 03:46 PM

"Google Earth"????? Are you not just an International traveller, but Planetary too????

Must try that myself -- THANK YOU

Regards, Rainbow
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2010, 07:02 PM

Umm, well yes I rely on mine having been off doing something else when they gave out 'Sense of Direction'.

Mind you I ignore some of its dottier instructions when it tells me to turn right NOW and its sending me into a field or a foot path that only a very skinny sort with a whippet could get through.
Yes, I look at a map first so I have a 'general' idea, but then use the sat nav for distances etc.

Yes I know you men folk ......... this from a female
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
it does not know the short cuts.
I was initially very skeptical about them, I could not see how they would cope with council workmen closing a road (As they are very fond of doing when even the most minor of repairs are due)

But I'm a total convert now, yes a good old fashioned map still sits in the glove box and it's useful to get a 'feel' for where Emily (My nice Sat Nav lady) is telling me to go.

Also I must disagree about the short cuts, she was directing me to avoid a horrendous jam on the M4 recently and suggested I turn down a minr road, it looked a bit small for the motorhome so I didn't, but a few miles on I realised that I had gone the long way and her suggestion would have saved me a couple of miles.
Rainbow
Surrey UK

28-08-2010, 02:48 AM

Not had that problem mentioned about being taken on short cuts!! ...... yet!!

"EMILY" I wonder if anyone else gives their Navigator a name too?

(I wish mine could have Sean Connery's voice)

Rainbow

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top