Join for free
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2010, 05:15 PM

Do you use your local Library?

There was a news item today saying Library use had dropped dramatically.
I must admit I don`t go as often as I did - but that`s mainly because our Council doesn`t buy many new books.
I do use them for the kids I work with, for visual resources, and also to have a look for authors I haven`t read.
I tend to rely on Amazon for specific books because the local one won`t have what I want.
So - do you use your library?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2010, 05:50 PM

Re: Do you use your local Library?

They built a new library 4 years ago, about half a mile from where I live and I do use it very often, maybe because it's so handy. I get out DVDs and CDs as well as books, the staff are very helpful and go to great pains to get you any particular book. There are always plenty of young people in there so it seems to be doing alright.
FayRose
Devon, UK
FayRose is female  FayRose has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2010, 06:41 PM

Cripes, yes. I have been a regular library user since I was about 15. If the library went a hugely important part of my life would go with it.
Can't afford to buy books, also can't bear not having a fantasy world to slope off to when I need it.
Long may proper (non online) books and libraries continue.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2010, 07:29 PM

Not any more...
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2010, 08:12 PM

I've had a library card since I was 6 years old, have gone weekly for my entire life and would be devastated if there no more brick and mortar libraries. I do buy books on line that I want that aren't available in any branch here, which is convenient, but can't match the actual experience of going and browsing, picking out the week's reading. My mom was a reader, and I can still remember the excitement when I was little, of the day we'd go to the library!! All those books to read... and before I was old enough I'd borrow her adult card and use it. Supposedly picking up books "for my mother", but the librarians knew, I'm sure, and never fussed
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2010, 10:22 PM

Do use my library quite often. We hve only one library now and its only 5 mins away. They have closed all the sub-libraries now.....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2010, 08:49 AM

Our library is in town and I usually pop in when I go to town. We also have a mobile library which is quite useful.
june1958
Lancashire
june1958 is female  june1958 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2010, 02:50 PM

I only use it for my son to get childrens books as they are so expensive to buy.

I did pick up a leaflet though saying that if there was a book I wanted that they hadn't got in stock, they would ask some other library if they had a copy, and get it for you.
You can also search and order a book online with my local library which I think is very good too.

June x
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2010, 04:38 PM

Our library system has that too, June; we can get a book from another branch transferred to ours, and put a hold on line for one. Very convenient, I use it all the time.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2010, 10:37 PM

I loved the local library until the brain boxes of SNP clowns that got in - shut them down and sent an idiotic bus library round, which is far too small! I just buy my own!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top