Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2009, 02:19 PM

Tomatoes

I planted some in a lean-to I made to see how they would do, they're coming along nicely, had to support the trusses as the fruits are getting heavy, because of the dreadful summer we've had they're late in ripening.

moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2009, 02:27 PM

Re: Tomatoes

They look good, what variety are they?

Mine were horribly neglected this year so we haven't had many, they have just ripened, still there's always next year!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2009, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by moetmum ->
They look good, what variety are they?

Mine were horribly neglected this year so we haven't had many, they have just ripened, still there's always next year!
I have no idea I bought them as young plants, two plants I know are the cherry type the rest are the usual type.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2009, 02:52 PM

Let me know if you need a nice recipe for green tomato chutney!

They do look good. The first trusses on my tomatoes have ripened/are ripening. Not sure if the others will make it. Do you know when it's a good time to cut all the leaves off the plants???
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2009, 02:54 PM

Mine are/were terribly late and, to be honest, not very good. But I'm not the only one - it seems the same for everyone round here.

Yours look good Nero - enjoy, either ripened up or as 'fried green tomatoes' - an underrated and yummy dish
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2009, 03:19 PM

What a good crop you have there...... I hope you get a late burst of sun up there to ripen them....
nero
Central Scotland

05-09-2009, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
What a good crop you have there...... I hope you get a late burst of sun up there to ripen them....
Err, . . would a sun lamp do.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2009, 04:42 PM

Put some ripe banana skins near the fruits Nero. They give off .... err, something, which encourages the tomatoes to ripen.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2009, 04:44 PM

I planted my usual 6 plants of Super Marmande; they did very well at first, got a good harvest, but seem to have the blight now ..... I had to buy tomatoes at the farmers market this morning.
nero
Central Scotland

05-09-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Put some ripe banana skins near the fruits Nero. They give off .... err, something, which encourages the tomatoes to ripen.
Thanks for that DM I'll give it a go.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top