Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 10:55 AM

Winter Fuel Payment

We received our notification letters today for this year’s Winter Fuel payment. It will be paid into our account within the next three weeks.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 11:04 AM

Re: Winter Fuel Payment

We have too Mags, but what a ridiculous thing to dish benefits out to all and sundry when they really should be means tested to make sure they go where needed. It's just the same as the over 75's TV licence they are talking about abolishing, that should be means tested too.
Most of the things of course were just introduced as election bribes, but the bribe only works the once whilst the cost goes on forever.. quite bonkers IMO...
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 11:05 AM

Don't want it don't need it.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Don't want it don't need it.

I'll take it off your hands .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 12:17 PM

Many seem to give it away. Perhaps like all benefits it should be means tested. But until it is I'd just be happy to still get it. Got a while to go before we do but I'm sure it helps some people.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 01:30 PM

Thing is Julie, the eligibility still seems to be stuck on people born before 5th November 1953, so I’m not sure that it is going to be awarded to everyone who reaches pension age. My sis was born in February 54 so looks like she will miss out.

Personally I look forward to getting it each year, together with the bonus (a whole £10)
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Thing is Julie, the eligibility still seems to be stuck on people born before 5th November 1953, so I’m not sure that it is going to be awarded to everyone who reaches pension age. My sis was born in February 54 so looks like she will miss out.

Personally I look forward to getting it each year, together with the bonus (a whole £10)
Yes I have a doubt even a basic pension will be available eventually. Which is why I wish everyone well who gets anything now.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
We have too Mags, but what a ridiculous thing to dish benefits out to all and sundry when they really should be means tested to make sure they go where needed. It's just the same as the over 75's TV licence they are talking about abolishing, that should be means tested too.
Most of the things of course were just introduced as election bribes, but the bribe only works the once whilst the cost goes on forever.. quite bonkers IMO...
I completely agree with you Barry, it should be means tested as there are many more important areas which it would be more useful in..
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I completely agree with you Barry, it should be means tested as there are many more important areas which it would be more useful in..
Me too, my sister doesn't even know that it sneaks into her account, it's not even small change to her.
I can't wait to get my pension next November, unless it gets changed again!

People under pension age can get Warm Home Discount from some energy suppliers if they have disabilities or children under a certain age, they'd need to check whether they qualify. It's about £140 and is taken off the electricity bill not given in cash.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2018, 04:28 PM

We've had this conversation before on here,and the consensus was it would be far too costly to the Government to means test....so..if You don't want/need Yours,then give it to someone who does..I know the Salvation Army and every other charitable organisation would be delighted to take it off Your hands,and just think how virtuous You'll feel afterwards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top