Join for free
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 12:31 PM

What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

https://www.howtogeek.com/353165/wha...ble-fall-2018/

There are, potentially, lots of changes.

One of the most significant, for me, is, unexpectedly, enhancements to my old friend, Notepad:

Notepad now has a “Wrap Around” option for the Find and Replace dialogs, letting you find and replace in an entire document without first positioning your cursor at the top or bottom.

There’s a new zoom feature, too. Just click View > Zoom and use the options to zoom in and out. You can also hold down Ctrl and press the plus sign (+), minus sign (-), or zero (0) keys to zoom in, zoom out, or reset to the default zoom level. You can also rotate your mouse wheel while holding the Ctrl key down to zoom in and out.

Other useful features include line and column numbers while Word Wrap is enabled, the status bar enabled by default, and support for the common Ctrl+Backspace keyboard shortcut to delete previous words. Microsoft has also improved Notepad’s performance while opening large files.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 02:56 PM

Re: What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

There’s a new zoom feature, too. Just click View > Zoom and use the options to zoom in and out. You can also hold down Ctrl and press the plus sign (+), minus sign (-), or zero (0) keys to zoom in, zoom out, or reset to the default zoom level. You can also rotate your mouse wheel while holding the Ctrl key down to zoom in and out.

I can do that now on windows 7 Omah.....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

I can do that now on windows 7 Omah.....
In Notepad .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 04:00 PM

I can't remember how Notepad behaves in Windows 7 but always thought it could be better. It looks like developers did too because there are a number of Notepad replacements to be found.

I use a plain text editor quite a lot and reckon Notepad++ is better than Notepad whatever Windows OS is being used. It comes with a few handy features including a spell checker that underlines mistakes as they are typed.

I should say Notepad++ is a bit more than a simple plain text editor but it can be set up for that and once done, it's superior to Notepad. Have to wait and see if the October update version of Windows Notepad will be as good.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
In Notepad .....
Aw no, not in notepad Omah......Sorry.....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

03-09-2018, 05:55 PM

Aw no, not in notepad Omah......Sorry.....
I thought not .....

I've been using Notepad since Windows 3.1 and Windows 3.11 when it could not open files larger than 54 KB (kilobytes) and Microsoft recommended not to open files larger than 45 KB, with the official workaround advice provided by Microsoft being "Use another text editor" .....

It's very simplicity meant that files could be exported and imported from other systems, very useful in those "hands-on" days .....

Just like MS Paint, MS Notepad is one of my "goto" tools .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 06:02 PM

Plain text still has its uses for the reasons you have mentioned Omah.

https://becomeawritertoday.com/plain-text/
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2018, 08:11 PM

I hadn't realised that Notepad had "grown up" so to speak.
I have not used it for years as it was not big enough for my purposes but I'm having a re- think about that.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

03-09-2018, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I thought not .....

I've been using Notepad since Windows 3.1 and Windows 3.11 when it could not open files larger than 54 KB (kilobytes) and Microsoft recommended not to open files larger than 45 KB, with the official workaround advice provided by Microsoft being "Use another text editor" .....

It's very simplicity meant that files could be exported and imported from other systems, very useful in those "hands-on" days .....

Just like MS Paint, MS Notepad is one of my "goto" tools .....
Although I was aware of its presence on all of my previous computers I've never ever used it and favoured word when producing text files. Trying to open unidentified files it was always offered as a solution in the little suggestion box, but when I did open any files with it I was faced with a page of jiberish! What is the point of notebook anyway Omah?....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

03-09-2018, 11:41 PM

Although I was aware of its presence on all of my previous computers I've never ever used it and favoured word when producing text files. Trying to open unidentified files it was always offered as a solution in the little suggestion box, but when I did open any files with it I was faced with a page of jiberish! What is the point of notebook anyway Omah?....
It's a text editor for keeping files simple, very simple. Next up in complexity is probably Wordpad (previously called Write), an early word processor with formatting facilities, still available on Windows 10. IIRC, the first MS office suite was MS Works, which was followed by the beast that is MS Office.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Notepad

Notepad is a common text-only (plain text) editor. The resulting files—typically saved with the .txt extension—have no format tags or styles, making the program suitable for editing system files to use in a DOS environment and, occasionally, source code for later compilation or execution, usually through a command prompt. It is also useful for its negligible use of system resources; making for quick load time and processing time, especially on under-powered hardware. Notepad supports both left-to-right and right-to-left based languages. Notepad offers only the most basic text manipulation functions, such as finding text.

Notepad also has a simple built-in logging function. Each time a file that starts with .LOG is opened, the program inserts a text timestamp on the last line of the file.

Notepad accepts text from the Windows clipboard. When clipboard data with multiple formats is pasted into Notepad, the program only accepts text in the CF_TEXT format. This is useful for stripping embedded font type and style codes from formatted text, such as when copying text from a web page and pasting into an email message or other WYSIWYG text editor. Formatted text can be temporarily pasted into Notepad, and then immediately copied again in stripped format to paste into the other program.

Notepad does not require a lock on the file it opens, so it can open files already opened by other processes, users, or computers, whereas WordPad cannot. Also, since Notepad lacks advanced formatting functionality, many people find its simple, minimalistic user interface (whose look has never changed since Windows 3.1 and whose menus were last altered in Windows XP, when "Format" and "View" replaced "Search") faster and easier to use for basic text operations. The MS-DOS Editor, especially as updated in Windows 95, where it became an MDI application, also provides many features never offered by Notepad.

There are many third-party replacements for Notepad with additional functionality, including both free software (e.g. Notepad++ and Notepad2) and freeware (e.g. TED Notepad).
Simple, but, at OS level, useful and effective.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top