Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 08:35 PM

Re: And Another Thing

Originally Posted by fender ->
Deffo get other prices, they're taking the pi$$.
As per Longy - 15mm is no prob, and a combi is fine with only one bathroom. Unless they know something we don't, no way the pipework needs replacing.

Go for something like a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 38CDi Classic. That will have the capacity for your house and a good boiler.

Let us know how it goes - don't get ripped....
I concur. I have one of those.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I concur. I have one of those.
Show off.......
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 08:43 PM

Show off.......
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 10:10 PM

We have microbore and not a combi boiler for one good reason. A modern combi boiler produces more pressure in the pipes ,so I was told by a qualified engineer who renewed our gas boiler 4 years ago. Modern combi and microbore are not a good match

This could result in joints splitting or even pipes bursting.

Maybe in a larger house ie 4 bed 3 bathroom plus kitchen and utility room with sink a larger boiler is the reason why we can't have one
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 10:22 PM

As per Longy - 15mm is no prob, and a combi is fine with only one bathroom. Unless they know something we don't, no way the pipework needs replacing.

Go for something like a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 38CDi Classic. That will have the capacity for your house and a good boiler.
15mm is not microbore, as far as I know. I suspect your plumber is trying to make some extra work for himself if he's saying you need to dig up and replace pipework. Look for a different plumber. Fender will do it!

We have a WB Greenstar 38Cdi too, installed a couple of years ago, and this works perfectly with our 15mm pipework.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2019, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
We have microbore and not a combi boiler for one good reason. A modern combi boiler produces more pressure in the pipes ,so I was told by a qualified engineer who renewed our gas boiler 4 years ago. Modern combi and microbore are not a good match

This could result in joints splitting or even pipes bursting.

Maybe in a larger house ie 4 bed 3 bathroom plus kitchen and utility room with sink a larger boiler is the reason why we can't have one
Flow & return are normally 22mm. Branched off to microbore not too far from the rads.
A combi will only be around 1.2-1.5 bar - hardly high pressure!
I could name many "qualified" engineers who talk complete bollox tbh......
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 05:05 AM

I had a combi boiler in my bungalow,the pressure dial kept going into the red,from what I can remember,can't remember the make of it,the thing I did like about it,was the instant hot water.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

07-06-2019, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I had a combi boiler in my bungalow,the pressure dial kept going into the red,from what I can remember,can't remember the make of it,the thing I did like about it,was the instant hot water.
It was probably a knackered expansion vessel.....
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2019, 09:56 AM

Let us know how it goes - don't get ripped....

Edit.
I was the service & contracts manager for a heating and cooling company for years, so I know the score with this stuff and how companies take the pee........
Thank you fender.

I am getting estimates from Engineers who supply WB Greenstar 38CDi Classic.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

07-06-2019, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Thank you fender.

I am getting estimates from Engineers who supply WB Greenstar 38CDi Classic.

Some engineers tend to supply the boilers that they can get a good deal on so if that's the boiler you want, then insist on it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top