Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 12:20 PM

fitted new electrical back box

Sue while doing up the back bedroom noticed a double electrical socket was loose.

I had a look and found one of the "tangs" side lugs was broken on the back box. So I disconnected the wiring to the socket and removed to old back box.

Having got a couple of new back boxes I refitted one of them .I noticed the plaster wall had not been cut back enough causing the problem.
So now it is all back and working ok.

new back box showing side lugs

very easy way to do a check is get one of these

never had anything like that when I was an apprentice
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 12:23 PM

Re: fitted new electrical back box

That kept you out of mischief for a while
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
That kept you out of mischief for a while

Mage it was only a half hour job. took longer to get the new box than fit it. remember I did an electrical apprenticeship so it was easy to do.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 12:39 PM

Interesting. I haven't seen plastic back boxes before. I assume that grommets are unnecessary.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 01:09 PM

They call them `Fastafix` boxes in the trade and they're designed for plasterboard walls.

That Martindale socket tester will only tell you if the socket is correctly connected and has an earth but it won't tell you the `value` of the earth which needs to be a maximum 1.1 Ohms on a 32amp circuit breaker. Anything above that reading will delay the disconnection time.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2019, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

We just had to "Socket and See".
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

I think I have the original version of that, I am surprised you didn't have one as an apprentice because they have been around since Noah was a boy - three neons and three 220k resisters - you can make your own especially in those massive UK plugs (that's where I made my first one).

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010784.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	10040  

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top