Join for free
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 01:02 AM

An apology on behalf of my country to the British public

I would like. on behalf of the Australian people, to offer this small token of apology to the British Public for recent events at Wimbledon. Like you British, I have always been proud of my country’s sporting achievements. When I used to watch cringing at sporting prima donnas from other countries throw their tantrums and abuse umpires and referees I used to sit and think smugly “God I’m glad we’re not like that” I would grit my teeth watching the like of McEnroe, Natstase and others hoping they would get beaten. But they seldom did and they never seemed to be called to account for their boorish behaviour. Conversely I would feel my heart swell with pride watching people like Evonne Goolagong, Rod Laver, John Newcombe and Pat Rafter playing tennis hard but fair. Playing to win, giving their best and taking the decisions and matches that went against them with grace, good sportsmanship and most of all with good manners. Then there were others like Richie Benaud, Dennis Lillie, Alan Border, David Campese, John Eales et al. They made me feel the same pride. And perhaps the greatest of all. Cathy Freeman’s run at the 2000 Olympics. Nobody has ever made me feel more proud to be Australian than she did that day. Now we have some new heroes; Ashleigh Barty, The Matildas and The Southern Stars. Then came the downer. The sandpaper affair. Nothing more to be said I hope. That was just shameful. Now you can imagine how embarrassed I felt witnessing the behaviour of Nick Kyrgios and Bernard Tomic at Wimbledon this week. They are both a disgrace to one of the great sporting contests of the World and their country. Nick Kyrgios is an enormously talented and natural sportsman not just at tennis but basketball and AFL as well. But he is an ill mannered punk with a lot of growing up to do. He is the same age as Barty but you would never believe it. I also believe he has done little to control his anger impulses. Whatever his problem is he needs to clean up his act otherwise he should bugger off for mine. Others think he is “refreshing” and an exciting young firebrand who shouldn’t be condemned for “speaking his mind” Bernard Tomic is just a lazy tosser who should get the bump from the sport today. What do people think?
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 01:32 AM

Re: An apology on behalf of my country to the British public

A big fuss here,the TV decided to broadcast Kyrgios and not Barty.I'm afraid the media lap up all that sort of nonsense.Perhaps that's why he does it ?
I expect the Brits have a few sporting numpties of their own.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
A big fuss here,the TV decided to broadcast Kyrgios and not Barty.I'm afraid the media lap up all that sort of nonsense.Perhaps that's why he does it ?
I expect the Brits have a few sporting numpties of their own.
Yeah on the soccer/football field maybe but then again that's why I don't watch men's soccer anymore. They are all such pathetic cry babies. The theatrics and the rolling around in fake agony turned me off. I've seen 10 year old kids - male and female - play harder and fairer than most of them. And that's for the salary of just a hot dog or Maccas at the end of the match. To be fair I have not seen a lot of cheating from the Brits compared to other countries - the sense of fair play and all that. Every nation has it's numpties..haha. But yeah the media command so much crap. Maybe NK gets a secret salary from The 7 Network. Member of actor's Equity I hope!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 08:51 AM

Not a fan of tennis,
I think people can’t rely on being just a good player, they have to have something else, I only remember McEnroe for his shouting and acting up, would he be the household name he is today if he hadn’t been like that?.. back in the day players of any sport saw the sense of fair play more than these days, I would imagine because money plays such a huge part of any professional sport, maybe these guys want to be noticed maybe they are good players, I haven’t a clue, but people and the media are talking about them now aren’t they..
keezoy
Australia

05-07-2019, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Not a fan of tennis,
I thi
A glitch maybe? PLease carry on........
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
A glitch maybe? PLease carry on........
Sorry, got distracted and accidentally pressed send
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 09:29 AM

I did watch the Kyrgios and Nadal match yesterday. I found Kyrgios to be very rude, particularly to the umpire and spitting towards Nadal probably showed his true colours.
There were a host on incidents, that if he had been on a football pitch, he would have been given a red card.

Wimbledon and tennis being from a different league to football, I don't think we want this type of behaviour dragging the game down.

Nadal dealt with the whole situation quite well, but it must have rattled him at times.
The commentators seemed not to care too much about what Kygios was doing, and made light of the incidents, but maybe they had the duty of commentary on the tennis, rather than the man. He put McEnroe past behaviour in the shadows !

I don't think there is any need for you to apologise for his antics Keezoy, it's a personality problem, not yours but thanks anyway.
keezoy
Australia

05-07-2019, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I did watch the Kyrgios and Nadal match yesterday. I found Kyrgios to be very rude, particularly to the umpire and spitting towards Nadal probably showed his true colours.
There were a host on incidents, that if he had been on a football pitch, he would have been given a red card.

Wimbledon and tennis being from a different league to football, I don't think we want this type of behaviour dragging the game down.

Nadal dealt with the whole situation quite well, but it must have rattled him at times.
The commentators seemed not to care too much about what Kygios was doing, and made light of the incidents, but maybe they had the duty of commentary on the tennis, rather than the man. He put McEnroe past behaviour in the shadows !

I don't think there is any need for you to apologise for his antics Keezoy, it's a personality problem, not yours but thanks anyway.
Appreciated PD. I agree with you about NK. He is all over the place. He behaves badly then freely admits it. He talks about what he needs to do but NEVER apologises to anybody. I know apologising for things these days is seen as a sign of weakness and "submission" - as I have discovered on this site recently - but still I think that's what he needs to learn to do. But I have no time for Tomic at all. Never have.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2019, 11:38 AM

No need for you to apologise Keezoy. With a name like Kyrgios, I see him more as Greek than Australian, even though he was born in Canberra. The problem is not with Kyrgios but with the organisers. He should be banned but they know he draws a crowd so they will never get rid of him. Money always wins in the end.

When questioned afterwards he admitted he purposely tried to hit Nadal in the chest with the ball but would not apologise for it. Either he is playing up to the press to earn himself a reputation as the new bad boy of tennis or.... he is a complete nut job. Either way he should be banned.

We had a poster on here once that would NEVER apologise for anything.... gone now thankfully.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top