Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 01:27 PM

Re: Spud u like closing outlets?

Originally Posted by d00d ->
My mother used to bake pots in the Aga for an hour or two. I don't know how long they take -realistically- in a conventional oven, depends on the size I guess.

Apart from warming milk for coffee, it's the only time the microwave gets used ... baked pots once a fortnight.
Probably about the same use as mine gets. Anyone here tried sweet potatoes rather than the usual white variety? I had to combat the possible onset of Type 2 diabetes and was advised sweet potatoes are better for doing that so gave them a try. They are, as the name suggests, sweet but that means it's not so necessary to have so much of all kinds of topping on them.

Cooking time is about the same, depending on their size. Mine usually are microwaved for between 6 and 10 minutes, then 10 minutes in the oven, which usually is being used for something else to go with the baked potato so no wasted electricity!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 01:53 PM

My wife uses the microwave oven for a variety of things from poaching salmon and fish in general (on a plate, bit of salt, knob of butter, soup bowl on top to about 5 mins) all the way to Q&D (quick and dirty) sponge puddings. Just put the mix in and "nuke" it. Great for frozen ready meals too. It's one of those things that you don't realise you need until you have one!
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
My wife uses the microwave oven for a variety of things from poaching salmon and fish in general (on a plate, bit of salt, knob of butter, soup bowl on top to about 5 mins) all the way to Q&D (quick and dirty) sponge puddings. Just put the mix in and "nuke" it. Great for frozen ready meals too. It's one of those things that you don't realise you need until you have one!
You've just made me realise I could use the microwave for poaching some fish that I bought yesterday. Not knowing anything about fish as a food anyway, let alone cooking it, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
You've just made me realise I could use the microwave for poaching some fish that I bought yesterday. Not knowing anything about fish as a food anyway, let alone cooking it, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
Although a micro can be used to poach things old style in the case of fish a couple of spoons of water helps by creating steam under the bowl so the overall effect is as if it'd been poached.

All sorts of things can be cooked in a micro, bacon (!) liver, sponge puds - do them in mugs, all sorts BUT care is needed for some foods noticeably those with a high fat and/ or sugar content.

On baking spuds. Prick them, and wrap in paper kitchen towel turning a couple of times while cooking.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2019, 09:20 AM

Well off course! It's only natural to get the most from a resource that can be got! Doing anything less is a waste.
It's counter productive to suck the life out of employees.

There was a very interesting documentary about Marks & Spencer recently. it mentioned how Marks recognised the benefits of looking after the welfare of staff. It was Mark's son Simon who initiated the drive to introduce staff healthcare, nutrition and other perks into the business back in the early 30s. The concept of the welfare state was apparently driven by the success of Mark's policies.
Baz46

08-08-2019, 09:35 AM

Although a micro can be used to poach things old style in the case of fish a couple of spoons of water helps by creating steam under the bowl so the overall effect is as if it'd been poached.

All sorts of things can be cooked in a micro, bacon (!) liver, sponge puds - do them in mugs, all sorts BUT care is needed for some foods noticeably those with a high fat and/ or sugar content.

On baking spuds. Prick them, and wrap in paper kitchen towel turning a couple of times while cooking.
Thanks for the tips!
Baz46

08-08-2019, 09:43 AM

Well off course! It's only natural to get the most from a resource that can be got! Doing anything less is a waste.
Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's counter productive to suck the life out of employees.

There was a very interesting documentary about Marks & Spencer recently. it mentioned how Marks recognised the benefits of looking after the welfare of staff. It was Mark's son Simon who initiated the drive to introduce staff healthcare, nutrition and other perks into the business back in the early 30s. The concept of the welfare state was apparently driven by the success of Mark's policies.
My point exactly and personal experience of both kinds of employer shows me that staff respond far more positively, which means just that extra bit of productivity and therefore profit, to being treated decently.

Waitrose / John Lewis are another organisation that treat their staff well with their 'Partners' scheme. Lots of good benefits and profit sharing, although not as good as it once was, still makes staff feel well treated and most of all, valued.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

08-08-2019, 10:43 AM

It really depends on the employees and what an employer wants from them. There is no one size fits all way to get the most output from a human resource.

The only, and indeed the overriding factor, is to get the highest return for the gross cost of the resource. To do that you've got to do whatever it is that you have to do.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top