Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 10:17 PM

Windows 10 is driving me nuts!

It's been updating for over an hour and still only 10%!
Is there a way to stop updates, that a complete idiot can understand please?

It's bad enough that it completely disorganised my photos so I have to search three or four places to find them, I hate it!

Bring back Windows 7!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 10:35 PM

Re: Windows 10 is driving me nuts!

Tess, I am still on W.7. on this p.c. and I've got 8.1 on my laptop.

My computer man keeps suggesting I go onto W.10 now, but after hearing and reading so many people complaining, I'm really worried I won't understand it.

How long have you had W.10 now?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 11:06 PM

Don’t do it mups .
It’s horrible .
Since I went onto w 10 I have no idea where anything is .
As Tess says photos are in umpteen places I never know where they are .
I wish I was back on XP.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 11:16 PM

Tessa I have set my PC to metered usage so can't take large updates.

Explained here...
https://www.howtogeek.com/249254/how...-so-much-data/
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 11:50 PM

I found a steering wheel in my underpants this morning . . .

It was driving me nuts!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 11:58 PM

Yep it's a colossal pain. Oh for those simple Windows 7/ XP days. Trouble is they don't work anymore because unless you don't use the internet at all they stop working properly if you don't update. IO have a little netbook that's still running WXP that I never plug into the internet. Only use it to write stories. IT's OK but very slow. So unless you're using your computer in isolation. you have to update. Necessary evil. As usual I am happy to be corrected if there is a solution
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
It's been updating for over an hour and still only 10%!
Is there a way to stop updates, that a complete idiot can understand please?

It's bad enough that it completely disorganised my photos so I have to search three or four places to find them, I hate it!

Bring back Windows 7!
You don't say if your updating from say windows 7 or just updating an existing windows 10. That makes a huge difference. We don't even know if your on a laptop or desk PC. Again is the drive an SSD drive or HDD drive
have you defragmented or optimized your drive recently?

Also the processor may not be the fastest or the is a lot of unwanted "clutter" on your computer memory which is slowing it down. then of course if downloading via the internet it depends on the internet speed you are receiving.

So to help you do need to give out a lot more information

What you should do, or what I do, is put all my photos onto a second drive be it internal or external. that frees up the main "C" drive. the extrnl Hard (HDD) drives are not that expensive and save a lot of problems as to getting to photos etc.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...s-external/all

or for SSD extrnl drives a lot faster but more expensive

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...d/ssd-external

I have an intrnl backup drive and additional extrnal one to be doubly sure. before anything else all photos go on both drives then sorted out ones to keep and those to ditch
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
You don't say if your updating from say windows 7 or just updating an existing windows 10. That makes a huge difference.

What you should do, or what I do, is put all my photos onto a second drive be it internal or external. that frees up the main "C" drive. the extrnl Hard (HDD) drives are not that expensive and save a lot of problems as to getting to photos etc.
Yes!..that's what I do. I have a 2 TB external hard drive and everything is on that. It will take years to fill it up. At least if the hard drive crashes you still have all your stuff. Plus it's also connected to a TV receiver box so I can record anything that's on free air TV straight to it as well. But you have to make sure you get a really good quality external drive. Expensive but worth it IMO.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 08:37 AM

So those last two comments were something a " complete idiot" would understand yeah? Right!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 08:44 AM

It finally finished updating at 7.30 this morning!
I had lots to do last evening including typing an important letter and saving pets!

It was updating Windows 10, I've had it since my laptop was bought for me last 2018 spring. Joint Xmas and birthday pressie.

I have an external hard drive with all my photos from my old laptop on, several thousands. I don't want to fiddle about finding them on that, I like my photos on my laptop. I'll move them around one day so I can find them in one place, that'll take a couple of days!

I just want to stop the damn thing updating when it likes, any simple suggestions.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top