Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 11:02 PM

Ring pull can opener

Has anyone one to recommend ?
My hand is so arthritic I can' t pull on the rings .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2019, 11:51 PM

Re: Ring pull can opener

Put a teaspoon handle through the hole and use it as a lever
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 06:40 AM

They have some on Amazon -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Opener-Open...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 07:25 AM

Often I find cans vary in the ease, or not, with which they can be opened. What I do is to use one of those large wooden spoons, the handle of which fits through the ring pull. Prise the ring pull up enough to break the seal, using an ordinary spoon if needed (do not use a knife). Push the handle of the wooden spoon right through the hole in the ring pull, from that side of the can, as far as the other side of the top of the can. Using the handle as a lever through the ring pull, with the other end of it on the edge of the far side of the can, pull upwards.

Long explanation for an easy way, it really is simple once you've done it though.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 07:31 AM

Sometimes the stupid ring pull breaks off

So irritating
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Sometimes the stupid ring pull breaks off

So irritating
Yes, extremely irritating! Then it's a case of turning the can upside down and out with the can opener, if that's possible as with some cans it's not. Otherwise I find it's probably less frustrating to throw it in the bin and simply give it up as a bad job!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 09:21 AM

I find a fork is better than a teaspoon. They lever the ring upright easier and being longer give more leverage. Even then I find it hard to hold the can steady.
Someone needs to design something that holds the can and has a lever device on the side
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
They have some on Amazon -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Opener-Open...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Thanks , ST , I will send for that if the wooden spoon and other utensils don’t work .
Mostly my ring pull cans are small ones ,I only buy M&S tuna 3 pack for instance .
Zuleika
North West UK

13-08-2019, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Often I find cans vary in the ease, or not, with which they can be opened. What I do is to use one of those large wooden spoons, the handle of which fits through the ring pull. Prise the ring pull up enough to break the seal, using an ordinary spoon if needed (do not use a knife). Push the handle of the wooden spoon right through the hole in the ring pull, from that side of the can, as far as the other side of the top of the can. Using the handle as a lever through the ring pull, with the other end of it on the edge of the far side of the can, pull upwards.

Long explanation for an easy way, it really is simple once you've done it though.
I’ve just tried this .
Amazingly easy or was it that the small CoOp baked beans tin wasn’t going to be difficult anyway ?
I shall keep my wooden spoon on my canned goods shelf from now on .
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Prise the ring pull up
That, for me, is the difficult part. If I have pulled it enough to get the handle of a wooden spoon through the ring I can certainly pull it off with my fingers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top