Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Re: What is the protocol?

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Sorry, I got hold of the wrong end of the stick.
That's quite all right!
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Mmmm, tricky one Rhian. I would certainly respond as he could be quite hurt by your non- response to his hello message. However, I would keep it friendly but a little formal, including the first question I would put after saying Hello and How are you, is 'how is your wife? and the family?' or 'I hope you and your wife are both well'

I know the above is stating the obvious, but at least he will know that you know and assume he is still happily married. Just because he is a man, albeit one you dumped 30 years ago. there is nothing wrong at all with chatting to an old aquaintence. Only if you allow it to proceed any further than friendly chat, will be when the problems start. I'm sure you are savvy enough to gauge things if he starts to get more personal and 'inviting'.

So, I would happily respond and say hello.
This actually happened to me a couple of years ago. My response was the same as above, and the message received well by him. It set the tone for any further correspondence.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 03:33 PM

Keep that toolbox closed.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top