Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 04:10 PM

Re: How does your garden grow - Vegetables

Thanks DM - I'll give that a go. It's not doing anything much atm anyway, so there will be no loss.
Calismum
Scotland
Calismum is female  Calismum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2009, 10:45 PM

Potatoes (epicure) and peas (??) have done v well this year. Carrots, tomatoes and runners are ok.

Herb garden flourshing.

Veg plot still in design phase. Will be trying lots more next year.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 12:35 PM

I got my self an allotment when i retired.

Last year the first full year I used it the Carrots where brilliant the onions where a disaster.

This year the onions where brill the carrots a disaster, the peas where full of maggots, tomatoes are very good, the red peppers(first time tried) are fair, garlic was poor.

Any suggestions and tips on growing other things would be appreciated
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 01:08 PM

Well, one thing is certain about gardening - and that is that you can't be certain of anything! There are so many factors, such as seed quality, location of the site and weather which can affect a crop.

I do have one tip on carrots though - nearly everyone on my allotment site grows at least some of their carrots in containers. You can be sure of avoiding the carrot fly and can get good early and late crops by giving them a flying start under glass or fleece. Of course you are tied to making sure they get water but it all seems to work out OK.

Do you have a whole allotment Galty? You must have a lot of surplus produce, or do you grow a lot of flowers? I think it is a wonderful activity - exercise, good food and good company all rolled into one
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 05:06 PM

Can I plant more carrots now - does anyone know if there is a "late" variety? We've nearly eaten all our carrots!!! Grown in bags and quite successful, although we did harvest them while they were quite small, but they tasted wonderful - I do love home grown carrots.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 05:37 PM

Yes you can angie - it's a bit late but what the heck. I can't remember the name but there are a couple of specific late types - just do a bit of searching - either google the seed merchant sites, google late carrots or have a look through the packets at your local seedsman

edit: Autumn King! Doh - it would be wouldn't it? Here's an article on late sowings in general from last week(ish)
Nippy
South Devon
Nippy is female  Nippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 07:16 PM

I have had good success with carrots in a container.
I also grew potatoes in bags. Not a huge crop but a nice taster.
Here are my red Duke of York from one bag;

galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->

Do you have a whole allotment Galty? You must have a lot of surplus produce, or do you grow a lot of flowers? I think it is a wonderful activity - exercise, good food and good company all rolled into one

Last year I had a half but took over another half so had have a whole one for this year

Grew enough potatoes last year to last me to this years first crop, did give a lot of various veggie away to friends and froze a lot, did not grow any sweet corn this year as have enough in the freezer to last me to next year.
angieh
Hampshire, UK

10-08-2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Yes you can angie - it's a bit late but what the heck. I can't remember the name but there are a couple of specific late types - just do a bit of searching - either google the seed merchant sites, google late carrots or have a look through the packets at your local seedsman

edit: Autumn King! Doh - it would be wouldn't it? Here's an article on late sowings in general from last week(ish)
Great - thanks for the link DM. Garden centre tomorrow morning I think, see if they have any seeds left!
angieh
Hampshire, UK

12-08-2009, 02:01 PM

I've got the carrot seeds and a bag of composted stable manure for the rhubarb rejuvenation!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top