Join for free
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Amaryllis bulbs

My amaryllis bulbs from last year are showing about 2" of leaf growth.

When would it be advisable to plant them so that they would flower around Christmas time?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2009, 08:16 PM

Re: Amaryllis bulbs

Aren't they already in pots, Mags? If they've started leaf growth I'd definitely pot and water them now. As to timing them for Christmas, frankly don't know how to do that. Once they're growing I let them take their course. Some bloom around Christmas, some later in the New Year and some just make healthy leaves and don't bloom at all!

Did yours Summer outside?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2009, 08:37 PM

I removed them from the pots last week and cleaned and tidied the roots, Eileen. They are looking very healthy so I hope they'll flower at some time.

I didn't put them out in the summer.....too many slugs and snails around here that may have feasted on them!

I think I'll take your advice and pot them tomorrow....... thanks!
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2009, 08:39 PM

We have them growing beside the roads here, and the flowers were beautiful....wonder when they will flower again..
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2009, 09:31 PM

I hope they do well for you, Mags. You pamper them: mine are still in the original pots with the original soil (), some are 7 years old! I do occasionally water them with Miracle Gro if I think of it.....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

20-10-2009, 09:45 PM

Are yours still outdoors Eileen?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

20-10-2009, 09:59 PM

Yes, and will be until we are threatened with a killing frost. Fortunately slugs/snails aren't much of a problem here.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top