Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2015, 06:35 PM

Re: Noisey dog in car

I think Loso has the best idea Doc.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2015, 10:31 PM

My old dog used to get very excited if she knew we were going to my FIL house, as we turned into his road she would bark and whine. Pure excitement no torture or mistreatment .
Where I now walk my dog there is a man who arrives wearing earphones, not for music but to drown out the noise from a very excited dog who just knows that the car means a walk in the woods and cannot contain his excitement ...His noise is down to pure joy..

Maybe a crate would help in calming your dog Doc, or sitting in the car but not going anywhere, just so that your dog gets used to quite time in the car as well as going for nice rides.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2015, 10:35 PM

[QUOTE=Cass;713346]My old dog used to get very excited if she knew we were going to my FIL house, as we turned into his road she would bark and whine. Pure excitement no torture or mistreatment .

My old Pips, the old gal, used to be just the same when we turned into Mum's road Cass. She used to love going over there and always started whittling and whining as we got near.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2015, 10:47 PM

Here by law all dogs must be secured in the back of a vehicle, either by harness, crate or those gate things that stop them jumping into the front. When we had both dogs we had a crate, the sort like a cage and both dogs were quite happy in that. Since we lost little Muffin we put ChoCho on the back seat, she doesnīt like the harness but we have a sort of adjustable restrainer which just clips onto her collar and into the seat belt. If someone sat with her she was fine, but if she was alone on the back seat she was definitely not happy, she is a Shitzu and so quite small. We put a cushion in for her to sit on, result happy, she is now high enough to see I am in the front seat and sits on her cushion as good as gold, in fact it would be easy to forget she was there, we always put one of her favourite toys in with her too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2015, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Here by law all dogs must be secured in the back of a vehicle,
Originally Posted by clumsy ->
either by harness, crate or those gate things that stop them jumping into the front. When we had both dogs we had a crate, the sort like a cage and both dogs were quite happy in that. Since we lost little Muffin we put ChoCho on the back seat, she doesnīt like the harness but we have a sort of adjustable restrainer which just clips onto her collar and into the seat belt. If someone sat with her she was fine, but if she was alone on the back seat she was definitely not happy, she is a Shitzu and so quite small. We put a cushion in for her to sit on, result happy, she is now high enough to see I am in the front seat and sits on her cushion as good as gold, in fact it would be easy to forget she was there, we always put one of her favourite toys in with her too.

That is bound to happen here before long clumsy.
I saw a very stupid man driving along in his pick up truck the other day, with his Jack Russel sitting on his lap!!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2015, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
[B]

That is bound to happen here before long clumsy.
I saw a very stupid man driving along in his pick up truck the other day, with his Jack Russel sitting on his lap!!
If you have a dog not restrained in the back of the car here Mups you can very soon find yourself paying a 200 euro fine. Personally I think it a very sensible law, safer for you and safer for the dog. This is what we have, my son bought 2 for his dogs whilst he was here and says they are a godsend. We have about 3 of them, some are left in friendīs cars for when ChoCho travels with them and we have two in our car as my friend and her little dog often travel with us.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Leas.../dp/B003TDRMI8
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

30-09-2015, 11:19 PM

Do they fit onto your seat belts clumsy? I just wondered because I have 3 back seat belts, but 4 dogs.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2015, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
..... If any off you have any ideas on how to stop him making this awful din in the car i would be very grateful.
I doubt it, Doc.

Hint -
I live in a Marine Park and have a number of crabpots.
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 12:07 AM

Our dog, Jessica, is a German Shepherd cross Collie. She was a 'rescue dog' from the RSPCA. She is 5 years old, a gorgeous honey colour, wonderful nature etc. We love her to bits. She is soooo intelligent and is exceedingly loyal. However, she 'squeeks' and is very excited when she goes in the car - she is very loud and it drives me barmy ! We find that she is somewhat better if we stop the car near a field or somewhere suitable where she can run for a short while and relieve herself. She settles better then and there is a lot less 'squeeking'. This is a great relief if we are travelling a long way. However, she is a speed freak !!!! If we slow at junctions, or stop at traffic lights etc. or have to travel slowly in towns, then she gets agitated and is noisy. As soon as we get on the open road and can move faster, she is much happier and settles down and even goes to sleep !!

We have explained to her that we have to drive slower in towns and we cannot ignore traffic lights other wise we could either have an accident or get stopped by the police.
She couldn't care less about that - she just wants to go fast!

Another thing she does is tell us she wants a 'reward' when she comes home after her comfort walks ! True ! It's a sort of mini howl which sounds like 're - ward' and it cracks us up each time she does it ! If we ask her if she wants to go out to wee (etc ) she will give just a short single woof like she is saying 'yes', if she needs to go out.

There are so many things that she can do and she is very quick to learn things. BUT she 'squeeks' like mad in the car ! We have tried all sorts of things, except the dog car restraint. We have got the item needed but haven't used it yet because my hubby doesn't like the thought of her possibly feeling trapped. I think I will give it a go despite hubby's anti................... we'll see if it helps at all. Could be the answer It may give her a more secure feeling, you never know. Besides I dread the thought of doing an emergency stop and the dog flying through to the front of the car and hurting herself and anybody she hits.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2015, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by GillyT ->
..... We have explained to her that we have to drive slower in towns and we cannot ignore traffic lights other wise we could either have an accident or get stopped by the police.....
I trust you're kidding !?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top