Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 10:23 AM

Re: home visits

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

Meanwhile for emergencies call 112 and someone will attend you and may send a paramedic out.

111 is for none emergency medical situations.
Hi muddy I didnt know this . So if its emergency I call 112 and not 111.

Who answers the 112 call ? Why not ring 999

Sorry lots of questions but I didnt know about this please explain more
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
The problem I am having at the moment is blinding headaches at the back and right hand side of my head and giddiness and no matter how many Paracetamol I take it will not ease.

I know Muddy has advised you,bigben..phone that number and explain your symptons....

I have phoned 111 on a number of occasions..I am Suprised your surgery didn't let you know about this service.

That is what they are there for....they will go through with you,all of your symptons,then make an assessment ,then advise....they also are in touch with ambulance crew.

Never ever worry that you are bothering them...because you "aren't".... you have paid through your working life for that service...good luck.

There is also number 101 for a non emergency,like an incident you would like to report or just an enquiry,..that will get you through to the police.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 11:23 AM

There is something else that I feel should be said. There is a general shortage of doctors. A lot have been retiring and there aren’t enough young doctors coming to replace them. Our surgery has become less willing to provide home visits. A few months ago, I had a crisis and what I got was describing my problem to a doctor over the telephone. She prescribed something which did the job. The prescription was then sent to my local pharmacy via the Internet and Mrs Magoo went and collected it. Job done.

It didn’t used to be like that in the past but I can’t say that I blame our doctors. They are doing the best that they can.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 11:54 AM

This BBC News item may be of interest to those posting on this thread, it gives details of GPs voting to end home visits:

"Doctors supported the proposal at a meeting of English local medical committees in London on Friday.

It means British Medical Association representatives will lobby NHS England to stop home visits being a contractual obligation.

An NHS spokeswoman said GPs would still visit patients at home where there was a clinical need to do so."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50527179
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 09:51 PM

Regarding emergency numbers, this is handy to keep for reference. It gives information about 112.

http://chandlersfordtoday.co.uk/emergency/
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
In our practise we have volunteers drivers who will take people to the Dr or hospital in their own cars .
It’s usual to offer them some petrol money .
That's really super. Who organised it? They should have this everywhere. It would be great if a charity like this could be set up. There are so many vulnerable people who need to get to the doctor but cannot manage it even if they are mobile.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 10:41 PM

Here if you ring 111 & talk to a nurse you get better treatment, the nurse I spoke to took all my details then said she would ring my surgery & get a Doctor to ring me, she did & I thanked her, a few minutes later Doc rang me & I got an appointment that afternoon. If I'd rung the surgery I have had to wait several days in agony. My Son took me down & Daughter picked me up. I could hardly walk for the pain but at least I got seen, had tests & got medication. I go back Monday for more tests.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
The problem I am having at the moment is blinding headaches at the back and right hand side of my head and giddiness and no matter how many Paracetamol I take it will not ease.
Could be coming from your neck (cervical spine) or strangely an inner ear problem causing the giddiness .
Ask to see someone who knows about these things and explain your symptoms .
An experienced doctor or consultant can perform the Epley manouvere on the back neck .
It certainly cured my symptoms which were similar to yours .
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Hi muddy I didnt know this . So if its emergency I call 112 and not 111.

Who answers the 112 call ? Why not ring 999

Sorry lots of questions but I didnt know about this please explain more
Calls placed to 112 from mobile phones are routed to the national emergency call centre in Driebergen. From there you will be connected to the emergency call centre in your area.

112 is in fact a genuine emergency number, which provides the same purpose as 999. The only difference is that 112 works throughout the EU. Calls to both 999 and 112 can work when you have no signal – but only IF they can hijack another network. This is what the 'emergency calls only' message means on some phones
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2019, 11:24 PM

I always thought 112 was an emergency number to ring if you were abroad, I didn't know you could use it in this country.
I only knew 101, 111, and 999.

Regarding Muddy saying about volunteer drivers, we have an older persons charity down in the town, that has volunteer drivers to take anyone to doctor or hospital appointments.
Nothing to do with the GP practice, just a charity volunteer service quite separate.

It is not free though. They charge for their petrol money, but it is still cheaper than a taxi would charge you.
They pick you up, take you for the appointment and wait for up to 2 hours for you.

I think that is fair enough. After all, they are not paid any wages and how many people can afford to run their car and give away free petrol as well.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top