Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
jodie
UK
jodie is female  jodie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2014, 07:22 PM

Re: New dentures - getting used to

Look at flexible dentures they may suit you better. Valplast and Dentiflex. Your dentures should not cause that much pain - I would KEEP going back til your dentist gets it right.

I am so going to write up a thread on dentistry - too many in this profession are behaving like cowboys. Too long to post everything I've learnt atm but I will in the NY, I'm also writing it up for a site I help run for folks with allergies & mast cell disorders (which behave like allergies)

For instance if you are allergic to any of the materials (I am to many) you are entitled to ANY material you can tolerate *on the NHS* - this includes ceramic and zirconia which I have to have as I am allergic to metals. This is actually stated on the NHS dentistry website but every NHS dentist I've come across will swear that this is not the case and you must pay for private treatment, which is tosh. The DOH and NHS Direct have confirmed when I asked them that NO material is off bounds for NHS treatment - so if you cannot tolerate acrylic dentures for whatever reason you are entitled to have them made from something you *can* tolerate.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2014, 07:33 PM

Great post Jodie - I have made a note of your comments, very worthwhile knowing - thank you
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2014, 08:32 PM

I tend to agree that if you are experiencing pain and discomfort there is something wrong with the denture or the fit etc.
The denture should feel comfortable in the mouth and fit properly, right from the beginning.
There is no reason to have pain or discomfort while getting 'used' to them.
It may be that you may need a different dentist who is more experienced or more sympathetic.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2014, 08:39 PM

It wasn't just the pain and discomfort, but the fact they felt so alien in the mouth. They looked ok, and looked natural, but by heck, the feel of them!

Thanks Jodie and Anita, for your posts. I'll also bear them in mind.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2014, 08:43 PM

I suppose it depends on the size of the denture and how much of the mouth they fill.
It can take time to get used to the feel but pain shouldn't be a part of it.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 09:39 AM

How are things now with the dentures Jazzi?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
How are things now with the dentures Jazzi?
Not touched them since, Carol! They've stayed in their box.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 09:54 AM

I can sympathise with you Jazzi ... my dentures were exactly the same and are Valplast ... supposed to be the best you can get ... they've been on top of the wardrobe for 4 years !
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 10:00 AM

Oh dear - how awful if you can't wear them!!

I've got a loose wobbly tooth and when it comes out I will have a gap of three missing teeth. Rather than have partial dentures I'm thinking I might have a bridge. It will cost more I know but surely worth it...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Oh dear - how awful if you can't wear them!!

I've got a loose wobbly tooth and when it comes out I will have a gap of three missing teeth. Rather than have partial dentures I'm thinking I might have a bridge. It will cost more I know but surely worth it...
I thought that was a partial denture, what's the difference Carol - xcuse me ignorance, I hate dental business

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top