Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2016, 08:52 AM

Donner Kebab

I made my own Donner Kebab last night, after the suspicion around the ones you get from the Chippy etc, it was just 1 Kilo of lean minced Lamb, and a small bag of spices (off Ebay), it was delicious, and no guilt trip (or weight increase).
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2016, 08:53 AM

Re: Donner Kebab

BTW, I didn't eat the whole Kilo.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2016, 10:24 AM

Been making my own for years, so nice aren't they?

The spice ingredients for a kilo are
2 tsp plain flour
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp Italian herbs
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp black pepper
And between 1 and 2 tsp salt ( I always go easy on it, can always be added later)
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

26-11-2016, 10:33 AM

I bought an electric mincer (and sausage maker) so hope to trim the cost, for speed and convenience yesterday, I went to Asda and bought 2 x 500g cartons of Lean Lamb Mince (£4.00 each), now I am satisfied with the result, I will go to one of those meat wagons, that appear in the village once a week, and see what kind of deal I can get, by mincing it myself.
Thanks for the ingredient breakdown, I have most of that already, so on the next batch, I will create my own.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2016, 08:24 PM

Good for you Spitty. Although I don't eat meat myself I think it's always wise to select your own meat from a reliable source and if you can cook it yourself all the better. One never knows what goes on behind the scenes in some place so how do you know what your going to get. Meat and the storage of it requires procedures involving very great care, deep freezing, reheating, etc., must be done correctly, if not you are in for a very sick stomach or worse.
I have never eaten a Donner Kebab in me life, I'm a plain food man and never indulge in exotic delicacies,
I once refused a Donor Kebab at the blood bank when I gave a pint of blood, but I did drink the free cup of coffee and kept the lovely red pencil.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

26-11-2016, 11:25 PM

You were right to refuse a Donor Kebab, if yours is fully functioning, it is Pittaful that some folks are on a replacement list, and needy whilst others are just greedy.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

26-11-2016, 11:26 PM

I am just a Cry Kebaby.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 10:50 AM

Whilst I make my own, a donor is my guilty pleasure

There's no such thing as fine dining here, the same menu from
The same catering company everywhere so when we do 'eat out' we go the junk food line

£4 gets a donor that's so big we share it and still there's enough meat left over to make a lunch from. Best is, it's not greasy. I used to get kebabs from a place in London and omg, the grease would run down you. Lovely at the time but rough on the guts the following day

Spitfire, there's a wee paperback book you can get. The takeaway secret. Gives the recipes of all your favourite guilty pleasures
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2016, 08:22 PM

Many thanks to Spitfire.

As a result of this thread, I made donner kebabs tonight and they were super tasty and definitely will be doing them again. I adapted an interent recipe as follows:

2 lamb steaks
1 pack low fat lamb mince
1 tsp cayenne pepper
3 cloves fresh garlic chopped
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp mixed herbs (for lamb from Greece)
plenty twists of black pepper
1 tsp salt

Simply mixed all the above together in a blender and blitzed it. Had to do it in batched as my blender struggled with the raw meat.

Packed it all into a standard loaf tin as compactly as possible, put an identical loaf tin upturned on top and threw it in the oven on 160 C for about 2-3 hours.

Came out as a solid brick of lovely donner meat which can be sliced thinly.

Toasted a few wholewheat pitta breads, stuffed them with iceberg lettuce, red onions, cucumber and beef tomato slices, added the lamb and then spooned Tzatziki on top.

Used only half the donner meat loaf and that was enough for 4 pittas so we'll be having the same tomorrow

Absolutely bloody delicious ! Wife loved them too.

Great fresh food.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2016, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Many thanks to Spitfire.

As a result of this thread, I made donner kebabs tonight and they were super tasty and definitely will be doing them again. I adapted an interent recipe as follows:

2 lamb steaks
1 pack low fat lamb mince
1 tsp cayenne pepper
3 cloves fresh garlic chopped
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp mixed herbs (for lamb from Greece)
plenty twists of black pepper
1 tsp salt

Simply mixed all the above together in a blender and blitzed it. Had to do it in batched as my blender struggled with the raw meat.

Packed it all into a standard loaf tin as compactly as possible, put an identical loaf tin upturned on top and threw it in the oven on 160 C for about 2-3 hours.

Came out as a solid brick of lovely donner meat which can be sliced thinly.

Toasted a few wholewheat pitta breads, stuffed them with iceberg lettuce, red onions, cucumber and beef tomato slices, added the lamb and then spooned Tzatziki on top.

Used only half the donner meat loaf and that was enough for 4 pittas so we'll be having the same tomorrow

Absolutely bloody delicious ! Wife loved them too.

Great fresh food.
Do you do home delivery?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top