Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2019, 11:23 PM

Re: Tyres

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I have one of those space saving get you home type of spare wheel on my Fiat Panda. How these wheels are legal on the road surprises me. I bought a proper spare which I take on longer journeys. No motorways up here though.
I agree. I can't imagine 200 or 300km at 80kph on one of those stupid space savers just to get to a tyre dealer. I carry a 12v pump and repair kit but sometimes a tyre gets torn to bits by rocks and is unrepairable.

To be honest I was surprised at the price too, that is over $320 in real money and my Toyos (246/70R16) only cost about $200 in the bush.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by rcs60h ->
Not only can the tyre no longer be used, it will be almost impossible to remove the foam from the wheel and so the wheel will no longer be usable either, expensive if you have fancy alloys.
The "space saver" wheels that are supplied with some cars are usually in cars that have full size spare wheel wells and usually have packing to raise the "space saver" up to the level of an ordinary wheel to level up the boot space.
So the only real saving is to have a full size spare wheel, it may reduce your mpg by a very small fraction but in the long run it will save you money.
I hadn't thought about the wheel itself. That's not good.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 08:27 PM

Thanks for sharing. It's good to know that they are getting rid of spare wheels. Although, I guess these days it's unusual to need to replace tyres as an emergency unless you're on a long journey.

I clicked on this because my fiesta tyre pressure light went on today. I went right to kwik fit and they checked and made sure all the tyres had the right pressure. But the warning light still comes up. I think this happened before once and then it just stopped. Blinking electrics. Perhaps it's down to the wet weather?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Thanks for sharing. It's good to know that they are getting rid of spare wheels. Although, I guess these days it's unusual to need to replace tyres as an emergency unless you're on a long journey.

I clicked on this because my fiesta tyre pressure light went on today. I went right to kwik fit and they checked and made sure all the tyres had the right pressure. But the warning light still comes up. I think this happened before once and then it just stopped. Blinking electrics. Perhaps it's down to the wet weather?
Might be a faulty tyre pressure sensor Annie,, you should be able to reset the light yourself, if it keeps coming on then get it checked out
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

There was enough to worry about, before the introduction of iPad cars
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Might be a faulty tyre pressure sensor Annie,, you should be able to reset the light yourself, if it keeps coming on then get it checked out
Hi Primus, I just remembered that last time there was somewhere on the car controls menu that had to be reset. Thanks for reminding me! Now I just have to work out where it was because the Kwik fit guy did it before, but today I was rushing to the vets so didn't have a full consult.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

09-11-2019, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
There was enough to worry about, before the introduction of iPad cars
Yes now it's all rigged up with technological gremlins which can give you a heart attack while driving if the warning light comes on. When I first brought the car I nearly flipped when an orange warning light came on. It has a special alarming noise to go with the light. It took me a while to go through the manual to figure out it just meant that the temperature outside was less than 4 degrees C! I mean honestly do we need to be told that!! I think there is a ford design team tittering somewhere about the little jokes they built into the systems.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 04:31 AM

Hi

My Lodgers sell spacesavers, they have an Industrial Unit and it is big business, they are both registered for VAT

They sell them, complete with Jack and wrench, at half the cost of buying from a dealer and still make a mint.

They import them from the EU , all original, where they are much cheaper.

They export used car parts, specifically Mercedes, which are cheaper here than elsewhere.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 09:02 AM

Saw my son on Thursday, for the first time since this puncture incident, it just goes to show how the enjoyment of a fragile car can be spoilt, just by a simple puncture. The car is a performance vehicle, and was factory fitted with Goodyear Tyres, the new Tyre the Main Dealer fitted is a Pirelli, he said now, when he accelerates the car torque steers to the right, so, the only suggestion is to swap the front and rear Tyre drivers side so there is a matching pair on the front axle.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 10:31 AM

Not to mention 4x4, vehicles, even when the tread depths get low, it can fool the 4 wheel drive system into thinking there’s low traction, so the system tries to compensate and this can lead to the diff failing prematurely..

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top