Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 11:27 AM

Re: Microsoft Issues Windows 10 May 2020 Update Warning

Just waiting...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2020.05.31_20h24m39s_001_CN-Microsoft Windows- O-Microsoft Corporation- L-Redmond-.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	12797  
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 11:53 AM

I don't know if my computer has updated or not, but I've just paused all updates until the end of June......... can someone let me know when it's safe to unpause it please??
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 04:42 PM

The message in Windows Update on my Desktop computer was that the version update was ready to download and install, so I did it. It is running well (so far).

No such message for the Intel NUC as yet.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2020, 11:35 AM

"If you’ve been checking Windows Update for the May 2020 Update and not seeing anything, then it’s likely that your device is being blocked or throttled from updating. Microsoft has also added a warning to Windows Update over the weekend for devices that aren’t ready to be updated".

Personally, I won't be going for the update until the normal update flow is released.

There are warnings if you look for "W10 2020 update".
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2020, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I don't know if my computer has updated or not, but I've just paused all updates until the end of June......... can someone let me know when it's safe to unpause it please??
You can tell which version of Windows you are running by going to Settings > System > About and scroll down to Windows specifications.

Personally I have never stopped Windows updates because all these warnings affect a very small number of users - there is an army of Beta testers for all Windows updates before they are unleashed on to the great unwashed like us.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2020.06.01_20h56m35s_001_CN-Microsoft Windows- O-Microsoft Corporation- L-Redmond-.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	12804  
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2020, 05:50 PM

I wonder whether MS have been short of testing staff, recently, or, maybe, some of their big Customers have been furloughed, or shut!

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2020, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I wonder whether MS have been short of testing staff, recently, or, maybe, some of their big Customers have been furloughed, or shut!

You could be right Ted. Then again, faults have been reported in releases made in pre-virus times as well.

I don't know to what degree Microsoft staff put the updates to the test before they are released. They probably do as much as they can but I feel some of the trouble could be that users have so many variations of software and hardware that Microsoft can't possibly test all of them.

Microsoft invite interested ordinary users to join the Insider Programme. People with different combinations of hardware and software who are willing to install pre-releases and put them to the test. Even then, I think they won't be able to get feedback on all combinations and computer usage. That's possibly why some faults get discovered after the release.

Anyone with a little knowledge can become an Insider. I am myself but not active now. I could never fault the updates in all my uses of the computer. It's quite a good scheme however because it means if we do have a grumble, it goes directly to Microsoft. This might not be taken any notice of but it's more likely to be acted on than if we grumble here.

https://insider.microsoft.com/en-gb/
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

02-06-2020, 09:10 AM

Re-reading the post above, I was a bit wrong in the last paragraph. Feedback for Insiders is for testers of pre-release software. It is possible for anyone to give feedback to MS on released software though. It can be done via the Feedback Hub. Just look for the hub under 'All apps' in the Start Menu.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2020, 10:05 AM

One issue "mitigated":

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...e-information/

After running DISM /restorehealth, DISM might incorrectly indicate corruption is still present after repair.

Workaround: If you receive reports that there is still corruption, subsequent scans should indicate the true state of the corruption. You can verify that DISM has fixed it by rerunning the same command or by using the /ScanHealth command.

A solution will be available in mid-June.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

03-06-2020, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
You could be right Ted. Then again, faults have been reported in releases made in pre-virus times as well.

I don't know to what degree Microsoft staff put the updates to the test before they are released. They probably do as much as they can but I feel some of the trouble could be that users have so many variations of software and hardware that Microsoft can't possibly test all of them.

Microsoft invite interested ordinary users to join the Insider Programme. People with different combinations of hardware and software who are willing to install pre-releases and put them to the test. Even then, I think they won't be able to get feedback on all combinations and computer usage. That's possibly why some faults get discovered after the release.

Anyone with a little knowledge can become an Insider. I am myself but not active now. I could never fault the updates in all my uses of the computer. It's quite a good scheme however because it means if we do have a grumble, it goes directly to Microsoft. This might not be taken any notice of but it's more likely to be acted on than if we grumble here.

https://insider.microsoft.com/en-gb/
Agreed, Mart.

I've been an insider since Adam & Eve went on the web!

They have an "Insider" for developers & another for business users.

Thus they can get a feel for the amazing combinations or hardware & software, out there, just a short while before they go to everyone.

It's been the system since even before MS took over the world.

There is an interesting page here:-

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/co...rite-features/

Which looks at the new features of 20H1.

I just read, nowadays, I don't feel the urge to be an up front tester any more!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top