Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2020, 10:07 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Less than two hours now, for any believers in numerology.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2020, 10:14 PM

We lost a prominent scribbler 337 days ago, another, on the face of it is no longer on the database, who knows, and more importantly, who cares.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

08-05-2020, 10:38 PM

This is my last comment on the subject.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

17-05-2020, 03:18 PM

Tracked down one of the Scribblers, three to go.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 01:28 AM

RJ Flat how are yeh.

In hot Summer weather, old adventurous gardeners should be very careful, the use of proper gear is essential, what with insect bites and stings one can catch all sorts of nasty stuff.

I’ve caught something
Don’t know what it is
But it makes me feel dizzy
And my chest begins to wheeze.

I’ve caught something
And it’s posing many issues
My nose is running wild
And I’m running out of tissues.

I’ve caught something
I know it’s not the flu
Had that last year
And I knew just what to do.

I’ve caught something
I can’t even taste me food
Anyway it serves me right
For gardening in the nude.

(Jem 11/6/20)
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2020, 10:34 PM

“hybrid. adjective. Definition of hybrid (Entry 2 of 2) 1 : relating to or produced from parents of different species, varieties, or breeds a hybrid rose hybrid cattle. 2 : having or produced by a combination of two or more distinct elements : marked by heterogeneity in origin, composition, or appearance”

As I’ve said many times I know absolutely nothing about cars, but I’ve always thought having to shove gallons of a highly inflammable toxic liquid into a vehicle just to make it move a trifle obsolete even in the 1900’s never mind the 2000’s, there had to be an alternative, although turning half the car into a huge battery is not the answer either, surely that’s like an electric chair on wheels, how many volts does it take to get the car going?

Now it seems like everything that moves on the road these days is going “Hybrid”, you have hybrid car ads on all the commercial TV stations and even hybrid bikes and scooters, my grandson (20) bought a hybrid scooter recently and he loves it.

In 1886 the author R.L. Stephenson gave us the first hybrid human being in the form of Dr. Jekyll who when he got bored could change over to the notorious Mr. Hyde, I’m sure a lot of meek and mild Dr. Jekylls turned into Mr. Hydes during the long lockdown and woe betide anyone living with them.

Then we had the hovercraft for use on land or water, and what about the old egg in the ducks belly that could be under the water and over the water at the same time, what kind of a “Brid’ do you call that?
I have a few hybrid devices that can run on batteries or the mains, hybrid seems to be the way forward and rightly so, do the wise motorists not keep telling us never to put all our eggs into the one casket?

My country born granny rest her soul, used to pronounce “Bread” as “Brid” like “Do yeh want more brid buttered Jem?” So when I first heard the word hybrid I thought it was a cannabis sandwich—high bread, oh those innocent days of yore.

Remember this one, High on a pill was a lonely goatherd.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

13-06-2020, 06:28 PM

Jembo, I've been working for a Furniture Maker, making new pieces look older, even antique, but, I had to give the job up. it was just Too "Distressing".
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

13-06-2020, 09:17 PM

Reminds me of an old limerick of mine.

“There was a young woman God bless her
Who threw her leg over the dresser
A shelf was too high, it caught on her thigh
And now she is one leg the lesser”

My student grandson got a Summer job in a circumcision clinic, the pay is very bad but they let him keep the tips.
I wonder do they circumcise horses? They must do it on the sly because a fella once offered me a tip for a horse and told me to keep it to meself, I politely refused.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

14-06-2020, 10:45 AM

Jem, as I said in the DIY thread, someone else will benefit, long term from my building work because, in about five years we will be looking for Bungalow, but, its going to be a tricky search.
We want to be self sufficient Power Wise, so we need a property with a River at the bottom of the garden, so, I can install a Water Turbine, then I'm going to fit a Wind Turbine in the garden and, Solar Panels on the roof. I must apologise for waffling on about this but I am just "Talkin Bout my Generation".
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

14-06-2020, 09:36 PM

Well why not Spitty, it’s always good to have a goal.

Yeah it’s a tough job trying to hold the boards up while securing them at the same time, whatever you do don’t use ceiling wax.

This is a bit from one of RJ’s favourite poems.

“The time has come,' the Walrus said,
To talk of many things:
Of shoes — and ships — and CEILING WAX —
Of cabbages — and kings —
And why the sea is boiling hot —
And whether pigs have wings”

I tried the ceiling wax on me shed ceiling but it was useless, as soon as I stood back to admire my work all the panels fell down. You could always try that stuff the taxidermists use on Parrots, Polly filler.

I hope Solo is OK, no sign of her for a while I see, but then she comes and goes like the wind, grand girl that she is.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top